BGB Helmets (Modern and Advanced)

Lloyd Dupont

Looking at Modern Armors (page 259)

one can see the Modern Helmet, Heavy does +6 armor, while the Advanced (i.e. better than modern) does only +4

I am unsure whether it's a mistake and we should swap them... Or whether it's a fudge number to consider with higher armor value of advanced armor (this heavy power assault armor has 16!!!)

5 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

one can see the Modern Helmet, Heavy does +6 armor, while the Advanced (i.e. better than modern) does only +4

Presumably, it is missing Advanced Helmet, Heavy with 6 AP.

Personally, I take equipment lists as guides, as they won't include everything. If something isn't there and seems reasonable then why not have it?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The answer was in the column I did not copy (yet) in my excel document: location

The modern & advanced full body armor include the head, so this is definitely a mistake...

trying to make an equipment table across 21 tech level where our modern days are only level 4! 😮  :)

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

trying to make an equipment table across 21 tech level where our modern days are only level 4! 😮  :)

One thing that I quickly learned when drawing up equipment for SciFi is that you don't really have to.

Armour is designed to stop the stuff that is going to hit you, so it doesn't have to be continually increasing in effectiveness. As for weapons, I normally just have bands of stuff, so a Blaster is a Blaster no matter what tech level, it might be slightly lighter or have more charges as a higher tech level, but you don't need it to give a bigger blast, that's what Heavy Blasters are for.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I think Lloyd is trying to emulate Master of Orion here, Simon. And in MOO (which is an acronym, not a bovine comment) weapon damage does scale with technology. Therefore, you will need advanced armour to counter advanced weaponry, otherwise fully armoured soldiers will be vaporised by the hi-tech equivalent of a Derringer. Incidentally, this is what happens when you fight the Antarans in MOO 2: your battleships are obliterated by a couple of light corvettes, until you conquer Orion and discover some decent military technology.

• Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM