Ms

R_ose

Questions for Lovecraftians

Hi, I'm currently doing a group project about constructing alternate realities and our research has led us to Lovecraft and his fans.

We wan to ask Lovecraftians what it is about Lovecraft that you like, how does it make you feel, why are you interested in Horror, is it a way of life, does it affect your everyday, or any thoughts you have on this topic.

We would really appreciate any answers or ideas anyone has,

Thanks!

• Like 1

There isn't much that I like about Lovecraft himself. He was racist and anti-Semitic and not really a positive role-model for anyone. 

What draws me to the style of writing that he is famous for is the heavy reliance on verbose description and an unknown and overwhelming threat. I enjoy Horror because, like science fiction, is a genre that has been constructed around the concept of confronting very difficult issues in life safely and with acceptance. You can talk about issues around the frame of science fiction or horror that are socially unacceptable in "polite" conversation.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:12 AM, R_ose said:

what it is about Lovecraft that you like, how does it make you feel, why are you interested in Horror, is it a way of life, does it affect your everyday, or any thoughts you have on this topic.

Not Applicable, Not Applicable, For challenging scenarios, No, No, See below

I'm not so much a Lovecraft fan myself, nor even a big fan of horror. I like Sandy Peterson, challenging environments, and roleplaying in a historical setting (because learning the history of our own world feels more useful than learning the history of a fantasy world). I still try to convey the scariness of the environment to my players because I believe they enjoy the thrill (adrenalin rush) and/or the novelty (being exposed to something alien and new).

Edited by mvincent

On 10/15/2020 at 9:12 AM, R_ose said:

Questions for Lovecraftians

Hi, I'm currently doing a group project about constructing alternate realities and our research has led us to Lovecraft and his fans.

Hi R_ose.  In all seriousness, can you let us know who your group represents, for whom is the project being conducted, and what the end use of the project is?  Are you interested in Lovecrafitan fandom in general, or Lovecraft through roleplaying games in particular?  Also, let us know how any respondents are likely to be represented in other media.

I think you're actually likely to receive an enthusiastic response, but reasonable disclosure will help oil the gears.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 4

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green