Helmets

Lloyd Dupont

Hi,

working on a custom scifi ruleset / setting for BRP.. for the record I am using general HP (and major wound, like Coc) and fixed armor value.

looking at the armors at the moment, particularly the helmets....
I found the whole helmet rule of +1/+2 (+3,+4 for more advanced) a bit crazy, ....

I am tempted by the following, what say you?
- if the character has armor, use the armor AP
- helmet only provide circumstantial cover, i.e. when the character is prone against forward missile, or when behind cover and occasional losing cover to quickly shoot, or with a shield (and failed parry) and helmet
- in the case the helmet is used, use random AP
- additionally helmet can have mods, like comms, night vision, psionic protection, holo projector, etc...

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1

I would either use the +1, +2 etc rule or variable AP like Elric!/Sturmbringer with te helemt also giving a plus to AP. Why? Becaus if you use Helmet AP like you outlined lying down might even be bad for a character againt missiles because all of the sudden he my be less likely to hit because of the cover but for some strange reason all the hits are headshots and the rest of the armor (also protectimg his shoulders, upper chest, arms) are good for nothing and he is none the better off than a guy in a t-shirt.

Granted, helmets are a good protection against shrapnels but even today a helmet cannot withstand a direct hit by a bullet if said bullet is not soemwhat glanced off by the roundness of the helmet.

I would use random AP with a bonus for the helmet 8 (or a -1 if the suit of armor is lacking a helmet).

Edited by Der Rote Baron

7 hours ago, Der Rote Baron said:

I would use random AP with a bonus for the helmet 8 (or a -1 if the suit of armor is lacking a helmet).

yeah... I was think about that (malus when removing helmet and also, of course, give perception malus to armor wearer) but I thought it might be a bit crunchy.. but perhaps not... you motivate me to consider it again! ^_^

5 hours ago, Kloster said:

I think the Helmet as a bonus for armor works well only with variable armor. With BRP, for me, fixed armor goes with localized damage.

Well.. BRP is full of "optional rule" to tailor it to your liking! :) 
I also though of using random armor with generalised HP but.. after much turning the idea in my head, I dismissed it. thought I think it's fitting for a lonely piece of armor that can be life saving or not (1PA is not much saving, where D6 might be)

To slightly segway into the various HP setting (i.e. localised, vs generalised, and more!..)

I would argue that people like localised wound because in a medieval game with super optimised player character and modest weapon damage, because localised wound are good for one shot kill of NPC while increasing PC sturdiness (7 location to wound down separately that have overall way more total localised HP that (CON+SIZ)/2).

But, in a scifi game with average weapon doing 2D8 damage or more... localised wound become a liability... 
Well, at least that's my take on it! :P 
I am sure PC don't enjoy that much being routinely one shot... Plus I also don't like it.. I rather scare PC in retreating or running away, that killing half of them every encounter to motivate the other half to run for their lives...

Additionally, I even gave me a veteran bonus sorta... instead of using the optional double HP (i.e. SIZ+CON), I use a progressive system, where HP = (SIZ+CON)/2 + Endurance%/10% so HP increase slowly (up to SIZ+CON) as the Endurance skill improves.

1 hour ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

But, in a scifi game with average weapon doing 2D8 damage or more... localised wound become a liability... 

Well, at least that's my take on it! :P 
I am sure PC don't enjoy that much being routinely one shot... Plus I also don't like it.. I rather scare PC in retreating or running away, that killing half of them every encounter to motivate the other half to run for their lives...

Additionally, I even gave me a veteran bonus sorta... instead of using the optional double HP (i.e. SIZ+CON), I use a progressive system, where HP = (SIZ+CON)/2 + Endurance%/10% so HP increase slowly (up to SIZ+CON) as the Endurance skill improves.

In my Swords of Cydoria (scifi/fantasy) campaign I used a hitpointless system where you resist damage (via the Resistance Table) using a Resilience score of (SIZ+CON+POW)/3.  If you made the check you were still fighting, but if you failed you were down (not necessarily dead) due to shock, pain or fear. Your Resilience could improve if your POW did. You could get a chance to increase POW if you made a harder than average Resilience check. (no maximum POW for humans), so like your system you could gradually get better at resisting damage.

In the case of Swords of Cydoria I wanted to have the pulpy swords and blasters thing going without 'oh my hand has been shot off'. The hitpointless thing allowed it to be a bit less gritty.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller
7 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I also though of using random armor with generalised HP but.. after much turning the idea in my head, I dismissed it.

I'm a little confused by  now - in your MoO setting are you using general hit points, location hit points, or both? And are you using fixed or variable hit points?

19 minutes ago, Vile Traveller said:

I'm a little confused by  now - in your MoO setting are you using general hit points, location hit points, or both? And are you using fixed or variable hit points?

I am using general HP = (CON+SIZ)/2 + Endurance Skill/10%
I am plan on using Major Wound like CoC (fixed (SIZ+CON)/3 value), and will do a resistance roll on 1 hit major wound or lose a limb (only case location table for creature will be used)
I am using fixed armor values. However I just adopted variable AP circumstantially, i.e. when the only armor is Helmet and the character has partial cover (that was what my question was about! :) )
Oh, and also using toughness (inspired by RD100), = CON/4, that reduce damage, down to a minimum of 1. (that might seem excessive but.. the weapon effect can give you bonus damage  as well! 😮  think double damage with impale, except I tweaked that system too.... 😮

I hope that makes that clear! :)

Edited by Lloyd Dupont