Brain storming for some adventure blocker in scifi settings

Lloyd Dupont

Hi all..

After a break back into working o my Master of Orion adventure settings (might be starting to play it in a few months now! šŸ˜® )Ā 

Anyway I got 2 blockers....

1. Material Rewards: in fantasy setting every now and then players can find magical items.. In this scifi heavily industrialized setting I don't see a place for unique items... And even luxury items.. when one can afford to maintain a spaceship, one can buy any luxury gun if they really want to... not sure what to do there... Apart from credits (spaceship are costly hey!) not sure what material / physical rewards I could give...

EDIT scratch that, I know what to do here. I got big equipment table cross referenced by tech level. I can offer elusive item from more advanced neighboring empire! These are both better and hard to come by!

2. "Encouters", the life of an adventurerĀ is often akin to a gunslinger of thief... but I don't see how could that work in the information age... My vision of the future (ideally, if I can make that work) is noting like Star Wars (where it really seems space tech and tech in general is kind of .. lost? and most place are almost medieval or borderland) here most place are heavily developed. (if you play Master of Orion before, it should make sense ^^)

Ā 

So.. any tips on those?
Thanks yall! :)

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

5 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

2. "Encouters", the life of an adventurerĀ is often akin to a gunslinger of thief... but I don't see how could that work in the information age... My vision of the future (ideally, if I can make that work) is noting like Star Wars (where it really seems space tech and tech in general is kind of .. lost? and most place are almost medieval or borderland) here most place are heavily developed. (if you play Master of Orion before, it should make sense ^^)

The old American radio show "Johnny Dollar" and the somewhat more recent manga/comic "Master Keaton" and its continuation feature a protagonist who's an insurance investigator, and thus is equipped with reasons to visit a variety of places with an eye to uncovering secrets. But more generally, I think the basic model for sci-fi that isn't so baroque as to have wandering ronin or wars of assassins is the investigator/detective. This can take many more forms than a private detective, of course. The group could be touring performance artists, or people on a kind of pilgrimage, or whatever.Ā 

• Like 1

Ā "And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford,Ā April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around withĀ the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford,Ā January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

Revenge. Jack Vance got the fiveĀ Demon Princes books out of that. And theyā€™re ace.

The Oikumene (his cosmopolitan setting, the precursor to the Gaean Reach) is civilised and sophisticated, with high tech everywhere, system-wide publishing conglomerates, interworld institutions and police cooperation. But backwater planets getĀ weird and strange once youā€™re off the beaten path, and once you go Beyond all bets are off.

Edited by Nick Brooke
2nd para
  • Like 2