Camping in the Wilderness chart

hkokko

Let's Spend the Night In the Wilderness - Importance Of Proper Camp Especially in the  Monster Island

Here is a small chart to use when characters are traveling in wilderness.The RAW rules state wearing suitable local clothing permits a character a grace period of their CON in hours before exposure sets in. The chart below shows the RAW rules for effect of being exposed to temperature ranges. The wonderful Hex Crawl rules in the scenario Bird In the Hand situated in the Monster Island enhance if you try to rest without proper tent or lean-to you risk exposure and there is no recovery of fatigue or natural healing.

Here is a small chart to use when characters are traveling in wilderness.The RAW rules state wearing suitable local clothing permits a character a grace period of their CON in hours before exposure sets in. The chart below shows the RAW rules for effect of being exposed to temperature ranges. The wonderful Hex Crawl rules in the scenario Bird In the Hand situated in the Monster Island enhance if you try to rest without proper tent or lean-to you risk exposure and there is no recovery of fatigue or natural healing.

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2021/02/13/lets-spend-the-night-in-the-wilderness-importance-of-proper-camp-especially-in-the-monster-island/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Looks good.

I would also add protective clothing that moves one, or two, towards the middle. I have been at -20C all day without a problem, with the right kind of clothing.

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

20 hours ago, soltakss said:

I would also add protective clothing that moves one, or two, towards the middle. I have been at -20C all day without a problem, with the right kind of clothing.

This in very true, and how do I know? I was raised in a city that routinely hit minus 40 and would stay there for days. I now live in a city that rarely drops to - 30 (this week it hit that twice and hovered around minus 22 day time and minus 28 night... these are all measured in celsius). I will add that one of the secrets is layers and they have to be loose to trap air (insulation). 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 2/13/2021 at 3:24 PM, hkokko said:

Let's Spend the Night In the Wilderness - Importance Of Proper Camp Especially in the  Monster Island

If you ever wish to discuss winter survival with one who has live with winter as a friend not an enemy give me a PM, Love your work and would be glad to share my hard earned knowledge of over 6 decades with you.

• Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

The rule system says that if you have an appropriate clothing 

"a grace period of their CON in hours before exposure sets in". Yes, the key is appropriate. In the army decades ago spent days in the "wilderness" with -25 or so. The cold is tolerable with appropriate clothing at least as long as you keep on the move. At the time Goretex did not exist - it was the old winter war (WWII) type of clothing - layers of it. 

• Like 1

Crawling From the Monster Island, the Jungle as an Adversary – Hex Crawl and Jungle GM sheets and a Tool

Lovers of sword and sorcery have a field day now with the long awaited hard cover release of Monster Island by the Design Mechanism and the most appropriate new scenario for it – A Bird in The Hand. Run, don’t walk to Lulu to purchase the hard cover for the sandbox and the new scenario. A Bird in the Hand will give you an excellent induction to Monster Island. You will need a hard cover for the Monster Island as the sandbox will last you a long long time with a lot of gaming. It can easily be slotted into your campaign – in mine I changed the lizard folk to native tribesmen and the high folk to serpent folk with some extra camouflage powers. 

A Bird in the Hand scenario contains the wonderful hex crawl rules put together by John Holmes and my group was given a chance to put them to extensive play test and have used them in every scenario ever since. The hex crawl rules makes it a must buy for the scenario itself, for the Monster Island travel and also for other jungle related scenarios. The only thing that is “missing” from the scenario hex crawl rules is a GM sheet for the various hex crawl features. The scenario is perfectly playable without GM sheet and has all the rules. 
The Core rules have tucked inside them rules for Survival, Precipitation, Exposure and Wind effects. The combination of Monster Island and the Hex Crawl rules in the scenario makes the terrain and weather of the island itself an adversary worth planning for. Your party better have navigation, survival, endurance and several other skills. 

Useful Folk Magic for Hex Crawl

Many folk magic spells would also come in useful. It is of course sad that by default Monster Island does not have folk magic. YMIMV. Cool would help quite a bit during a scene. For drying yourself off “Dry” would help in helping survive the jungle night. Might might help when trying to avoid the encumbrance penalties from Burdened or above conditions. Pathway would help in not losing one’s way so easily within a single scene. Preserve would help in keeping the rations good for longer than the Monster Island week. Tire would be nasty spell against the already fatigued – might even kill a person. Vigour would help avoiding the burdened and above conditions Fatigue rolls and Warmth could help for a bit in the night.
These of course will burn quite a few magic points as they are targeted per person, will last only a short while (scene might not be a day, sounds like too strong for a cantrip like folk magic spell) and magic might not work every time. It is also worth noting that Cool and Warmth requires concentration that might be broken by the denizens and surprises of Monster Island. 

GM Sheet for Hex Crawl
I was inspired to create a GM sheet for the Hex Crawl and John was kind enough to provide some feedback to tune it a bit. 
You will need Mythras Core Rules, Monster Island and the scenario A Bird in the Hand. GM sheets provide summary information at a glance and refer to the books. 
The GM sheets contain 

• The Monster Island (and Jungle) Hex Crawl Travel rolls
  • The Monster Island Hex Crawl Travel Distance
  • Camping in Wilderness V1.3
The GM sheets combine information about Monster Island temperature effects, 

The Monster Island Armour Penalty Fatigue Calculator
The Monster Island Armour Penalty Fatigue Calculator tool calculates the effects of Monster Island Jungle rules for wearing armour. The tool is currently an excel – will likely be added to toolsfrompavis.com later on. Mark here your current fatigue level (Fresh, Weary…), your strength, worn Armour ENC and all other ENC than armour. Monster Island is unforgiving if you wear any armour at all so be prepared for that. If you need to calculate the weapon, specific armour set and other equipment ENC use the Encumbrance calculator and mark down what you need here. 
Tool results when no armour and weeks rations are carried and nothing else

The file links are here
  • Monster Island and Jungle Travel Rolls
  • Monster Island Travel Distance
  • Camping in the Wilderness
  • Monster Island Armour Fatigue Calculator
…and they will appear also in the Mythras charts page and Starting Resources for GMs
To get the best of these you will need the Mythras Core Rules, Monster Island and the scenario A Bird in the Hand from Design Mechanism , Mythras Encounter Generator will create you encounters. 

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2021/02/21/crawling-from-the-monster-island-the-jungle-as-an-adversary-hex-crawl-and-jungle-gm-sheets-and-a-tool/

• Thanks 1