Why is harvest determined at Sacred Time in RQ?

smiorgan

16 minutes ago, svensson said:

That's it, that's all. We are all seriously overthinking this.

Can’t agree with that, you should see what overthinking amongst this crowd looks like. (angels, heads, pins and dance comes to mind) 🙂

Seriously, doing Sacred Time right now, so it is incredibly relevant (okay, not every post here) but it will matter to my players and what comes to them this great year... 1611 ST! 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 3

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

16 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Can’t agree with that, you should see what overthinking amongst this crowd looks like. (angels, heads, pins and dance comes to mind) 🙂

Ya know, this is a wee bit of an off-topic diatribe, so don’t reply but, there was a time in the past year where I stopped posting here ‘cause of the pikers crawling up my butt for the slightest of perceived errors. I got sick of having to proof every post to make sure it was airtight from the pissants who insisted on finding fault and ‘splaining why I was wrong....in excruciating detail...you know who you are!

Alright, old man now getting off the turf and stopping yelling at the kids to do likewise.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

20 hours ago, svensson said:

Ooh! I know! Genertelans are like the Japanese... everyone has the same birthday, Gods /Fate /Sacred Time. Whether a child was born 1st of Sea Season, the 25th of Earth Season, or the 56th of Storm Season, they all turn another year old on the last day of Sacred Time.

No need to invoke a separate culture... From: https://www.racingexplained.co.uk/racehorses/all-about-the-thoroughbred/

All horses born in the same year share their official birthday as the 1st January. When racing as two-year-olds, a horse born in the early months of the year is likely to be more mature than one born later, despite officially being the same age.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 11:27 AM, smiorgan said:

Wouldn't Earth Season make more sense narratively? I gather that Sacred Time is functionally like Pendragon's Winter Phase, where all the non-adventuring activites are resolved, but still... Am I missing something, either rules-wise or lore-wise?

I don't think you're missing anything. It's just easier to do one roll every year, than have up to 6 different downtime sub-systems each with its own set of season-appropriate rolls. It's fairly easy to split the Sacred Time rolls and results apart, and do bits here and there after each season, though, in case you need more granularity.  I do like crunchy granularity.

21 hours ago, svensson said:

That's it, that's all. We are all seriously overthinking this.

Have you ever been on the internet? Or on discussion board for seriously crunchy systems? 😄 

Anyway I haven't had to do the yearly family rolls yet but I think I would proceed as follows for the Children roll if/when I have to:

1. If there's no children, great, no worries.
  2. If there's a child:
    1. Was the child birthed by an NPC partner of the PC? Great, no worries.
    2. Is the PC supposed to birth the child? Look at the past year's adventures. Was there enough free time to do that? If so, great, no worries.
    3. Has the party NOT already used the "didn't know I was pregnant" thing? And does it fit the PC's personality and nature? If so, great, the birth was a surprise. Or maybe some divine or spirit conception thing that requires further investigation.
    4. Did the party already used the "didn't know I was pregnant" thing on another PC, and the coincidence of it happening to this PC feels like too much? Or does it not fit the PC's personality and nature? Well, the PC is pregnant now and the child will be born next year.

Sprinkle a bit of house scenes, potential drama if the kid was conceived when the PC was away from home, and start thinking about how to introduce David Bowie to your campaign.

• Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !