Just starting with RuneQuest - new version/classic question

Baphomet69

I don’t think normally Chaosium has a ‘product pipeline’ list like Mongoose does. At least I haven’t found one.

I just started getting into RuneQuest with the new edition and I’m aware they have a very many of the old supplements available as POD. However, I REALLY don’t want to buy a bunch of the old supplements only to find that new versions are soon to be released.

anyone have any info on upcoming titles? 

If you are just starting, I recommend you just buy the new RQ:G products. The RQC products will be there waiting for you, and because they're POD you can't miss out on the print versions. You can pick them up when you are familiar with Glorantha. 

I got them all in print when they came out, so my RQC purchases are all PDFs.  

3 minutes ago, AndrewTBP said:

If you are just starting, I recommend you just buy the new RQ:G products. The RQC products will be there waiting for you, and because they're POD you can't miss out on the print versions. You can pick them up when you are familiar with Glorantha. 

I got them all in print when they came out, so my RQC purchases are all PDFs.  

I would agree with AndrewTBP. Between the core book, the Quickstart, the Gamemaster's Set, Smoking Ruins, Pegasus Plateau, the upcoming Starter Set, there is already a lot of scenario and material to get going for a long while without getting entangled with older publications. Not they are not worth it but they could be nice to get to once you are comfortable with the current edition.

11 hours ago, Dr. Device said:

Are you planning to run published adventures or do you just want useful game materials and setting info?

And here you hit on what I find most lacking in current RQ:RiG publications... The core ruleset and GM package do not provide guidelines for one to develop ad-hoc gaming sessions... No general purpose encounter tables, no guidelines for "treasure" aligned to defeated opponents (heck, no guides to matching ad-hoc opponents to party strength) -- as is found in a few pages near the back of the RQ2 manual. Everything seems to be focused upon $$ adventure scenarios. Even if one plans to use a published scenario, one may still need to get the party members /to/ the scenario -- what happens while they are on the road to that starting place?

Yes, RQ:RiG gets much deeper into Glorantha than RQ2 ever did -- but not every gaming group has time or $$$ to actually delve into that history and culture at the start.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baphomet69 said:

Both, but I’ve also got a serious case of Pokémon Syndrome (“gotta collect them all”). 😁

I wrote up a whole thing, but honestly Andrew's advice of buying the new materials and going back to buy old materials as needed is probably more useful. All I'd add is that HeroQuest: Glorantha has a lot of publications with useful setting information, so consider looking there as well as RQC.

2 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

And here you hit on what I find most lacking in current RQ:RiG publications... The core ruleset and GM package do not provide guidelines for one to develop ad-hoc gaming sessions... No general purpose encounter tables, no guidelines for "treasure" aligned to defeated opponents (heck, no guides to matching ad-hoc opponents to party strength) -- as is found in a few pages near the back of the RQ2 manual. Everything seems to be focused upon $$ adventure scenarios. Even if one plans to use a published scenario, one may still need to get the party members /to/ the scenario -- what happens while they are on the road to that starting place?

Yes, RQ:RiG gets much deeper into Glorantha than RQ2 ever did -- but not every gaming group has time or $$$ to actually delve into that history and culture at the start.

Agreed, but I think it has bigger problems than random encounter rules. People are creative, and a GM who thinks there should be an encounter on the road to adventure will make something up if they have to, random encounter tables be damned.

I think a bigger hole in the RQ:G framework is rules for creating and managing clans. The core rulebook repeatedly mentions the importance of communities, even basing their "one adventure per season" structure around PCs maintaining their daily lives in one, but has no rules for interfacing with communities beyond the player-facing upkeep rules in the back of the book. Guidance for creating a clan, how to gauge its wealth and well-being, how PCs can affect those statuses for good and ill, how to create friends and enemies, and how to drive and manage conflicts between them would all go a long way toward making the clan a meaningful part of the game system. I can throw a few things together to make a quick tool for checking random encounters, but clan management is a much more complicated beast.

• Like 1