I'm wondering about building up the background of Sir Sansum ap AElwyn Wuerense, called the Stormcloud, the step-father of one of my PKs, Sir Uhtred mac Doughall, called le Beau.

Is Wuerensis ever detailed in any of the books?  Online resources?  Or are the scant bits in Book of Uther all/most of what I have to go on?

either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}

My Patreon for RPG writing and streaming ; Lucifer's Shards: Sub-Creations Taking Root in Ein Soph Aur {an rpg blog} ; Find me on social medias

"So I don’t even want to hear about reality. I don’t want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"

There is very, very little. The Heart Blade main lady protagonist is from Wuerensis and the forest and her lands are discussed a bit.

In GPC:

County of WUERENSIS
WUERENSIS: A county on the upper Avon River, it includes the cities of Warwick and Kinetown.
Culture/Religion: Cymric/British Christian and Pagan

Wuerensis is a borderland kingdom of mixed Pagans and Christians. They exhibit great religious tolerance, and mistrust anyone who exhibits any strong religious tendencies.

Places

Kenilworth Castle is a small castle.

Kineton is a stop along the King's Road, and the road north from it leads to Warwick.

Warwick (See own entry)

Arden Forest:
A forest north and west of Wuerensis, forming one of the borders of Logres. Most of it is in Cambria.
495: Arden Forest: Arden Forest fills the area between Wuerensis (on the Avon River), Galvoie (on the Severn) and Cameliard (on the Trent.)

Avon River: Three Avon rivers appear on this map.

1. A tributary to the Severn River that goes through Wuerensis.

2. Main drainage for Salisbury, navigable by boat from near Sarum south to the sea.

3. A river in Somerset navigable from Bath north to the sea.

Kinetown: This is a castle on the Royal Road in Wuerensis; a regular road leads from here to nearby

Warwick: This is the primary city of the County of Wuerensis.

Warwick, city [Wuerensis, Logres]

Culture/Religion: Cymric/British Christian

Warwick is a beautiful city protected by a castle. The city is located on the north side of the Avon River.

Rulers

Ruler: City Council

Vassal of: Lord of Wuerensis

Events:

502:
The messenger from King Nanteleod brings word that Gloucester, Orofoise, Galvoie, Cheshire, Cameliard, and Wuerensis have all agreed to submit to him as vassals.

512: While Arthur was campaigning in Cumbria, King Lot and King Ryons led an army to plunder many unprotected Cambrian lands: Cameliard, Lambor, Wuerensis, and Escavalon.

518: Wuerensis is raided

556: Wuerensis is raided

Rulers

Ruler: Earl Artgualchar of Wuerensis

Vassal of: Arthur Pendragon

My players have lands in north-eastern Escavalon so Wuerensis is just next door. I'm going to have to make a detailed map of the place at some point.

1 hour ago, Voord 99 said:

Also, back in 3e/4e, Kenilworth Castle (in Wuerensis, see 7dot62mm’s post) was the home of Boadicea’s Daughters, the most prominent order of female knights (Knights Adventurous).

Who also show up in the aforementioned The Adventure of the Heart Blade (Blood & Lust sourcebook).

On 7/18/2021 at 9:13 AM, 7dot62mm said:

My players have lands in north-eastern Escavalon so Wuerensis is just next door. I'm going to have to make a detailed map of the place at some point.

Do please send me the map when you do, if you would!

On 7/18/2021 at 11:58 AM, Voord 99 said:

Also, back in 3e/4e, Kenilworth Castle (in Wuerensis, see 7dot62mm’s post) was the home of Boadicea’s Daughters, the most prominent order of female knights (Knights Adventurous).

What year in-game would they have come into being?  Female knights would play into a big theme of my game (since my two ace players, one cis-ish and one nonbinary, both created ladies-masquerading-as-knights ~ Sir Briant took her dead brother's name to prevent an evil Aunt from taking the family estate and Sir Jasper was told by the Cymru that adopted her that she had to pretend to be a man in order to be sure of inheriting his manor)

On 7/19/2021 at 8:39 AM, jmberry1s said:

Also, in lore Artgualchar was later re-imagined as a knight named Arthall or Artegall, who is of course best known for being Britomart's lover in Spencer's "The Faerie Queene."

Do you know where I could get a quick breakdown of the character and their themes?  I'ven't read the Faerie Queene yet.  Also, when does Artgualchar become the earl, is that an identifiable thing?

Thank you, all three of you for your responses!

either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}

My Patreon for RPG writing and streaming ; Lucifer's Shards: Sub-Creations Taking Root in Ein Soph Aur {an rpg blog} ; Find me on social medias

"So I don’t even want to hear about reality. I don’t want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"

Canonical origin for Boadicea’s Daughters in Knights Adventurous was “a few years” after the Angle invasion of 500.  (They start as British refugees from what was being called Iceniland or Icenia at that point.)  Some vagueness about exactly when the Earl of Wuerensis gave them Kenilworth Castle, but at some point between then and 531.

But it would be relatively easy to move Boadicea’s Daughters back in time and keep broadly the same origin.  One would just need to substitute Sussex for Anglia to have them exist in 479.  You only lose one thing, although it’s a big thing — the connection with Boudica through the Iceni.  But Colomb Not-A-Lady (the founder) could easily have been from the Iceni and married to someone among the Regnenses.

6e is going to have a major order of female knights in default Salisbury.  I forget how many details have been announced, but it’s possible that some of this earlier Boadicea’s Daughters material is being adapted (and relocated).  If so, presumably the origin will be moved back to before the reign of Uther.  But this is all very speculative, of course. 

Edited by Voord 99
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Voord 99 said:

Checking back, I’d misremembered — all there was, was a statement that Salisbury would be one of the areas where people were more open to female knights.  Nothing specific about why that was.

OK. I did remember that bit, but the "a major order of female knights in default Salisbury" would have been news to me. 🙂

On 7/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, Voord 99 said:

Canonical origin for Boadicea’s Daughters in Knights Adventurous was “a few years” after the Angle invasion of 500.  (They start as British refugees from what was being called Iceniland or Icenia at that point.)  Some vagueness about exactly when the Earl of Wuerensis gave them Kenilworth Castle, but at some point between then and 531.

A few years later, 4e said. So somewhere in the early 500s.

However, Book of the Warlord contradicts this. In Appendix A, Leodegrance takes Kenilworth (Red Tower) during the Anarchy and then returns it to Arthur. It is Arthur who grants it to 'The Maiden Knights', The Daughters of Boudicca, after he has upgraded the Castle, by the end of the Boy King. So This would likely push it to 514 at the very earliest, possibly even all the way to 518, as reward for fighting bravely at Badon Hill?

On 7/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, Voord 99 said:

But it would be relatively easy to move Boadicea’s Daughters back in time and keep broadly the same origin.  One would just need to substitute Sussex for Anglia to have them exist in 479.  You only lose one thing, although it’s a big thing — the connection with Boudica through the Iceni.  But Colomb Not-A-Lady (the founder) could easily have been from the Iceni and married to someone among the Regnenses.

Possible. Or perhaps even better, let the female PKs to start it, or at least act as the inspiration for the Iceni ladies. I think it would reward PK agency more this way, and let them have an impact on the world.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 7:15 AM, Merlin Monroe et alia said:

Do you know where I could get a quick breakdown of the character and their themes?  I'ven't read the Faerie Queene yet.

Quick Googling, no guarantee of quality, but possibly of interest: https://www.shmoop.com/study-guides/literature/faerie-queene/arthegall

On 7/21/2021 at 7:15 AM, Merlin Monroe et alia said:

Also, when does Artgualchar become the earl, is that an identifiable thing?

Alas, he is missing in Book of the Warlord. There is an editorial error for sure in assigning Warwick (Warcastle) to Sir Ederyn at the end of the Boy King. It should be Sir Edelin who is the heir of Sir Ederyn (who is dead by then), and has been holding the castle during the Anarchy. Easiest 'fix' would be to change Edelin -> Artgualchar, which then would fit with the 4e timing of Kenilworth being given to the Daughters during the Anarchy by the Earl (Baron) of Wuerensis. However, if you want to go more with the Faerie Queene and BotW, then making Artgualchar the son of Edelin would work nicely, and have him take over at the end of the Conquest. Up to you. Wuerensis doesn't really play a major part in the GPC, so feel free to do what you want.

In Blood&Lust, Artgualchar gets mentioned by name ONCE, at the very end. So not really a major player, and in our campaign, I switched it so that Arthur was the liege lord of Stoneleigh, instead.

Edited by Morien

There's a few other tidbits from the Book of the Warlord's castle list:

• In Anarchy, many of the castles are not assigned to any particular force. King Leodegrance has seized the Castle of the Stag and the Red Tower. He keeps the Castle of the Stag during Arthur's reign, but he returns the Red Tower to the King, who gives it to the Maiden Knights.
  • Cambrian raiders destroy Horsemane. It remains in ruins, possibly inhabited by monsters.
  • Slayersfort (detailed in BotW) could be a player estate, and has some local sights of interest.
  • Soldiers from Priest Town Castle attack Castle Dykes, held by Sir Dorilas, then by Sir Sangwell, who rebels against Arthur.
  • The Castle in the Beautiful Wild was "built under leadership of Dorvant, a young son of Baron Irowntown, who then flees to the forest, mad."

That sounds like plenty of people who can hate each other and a bit of mystery for the players to investigate.