Famegrave map?

Murf

20 hours ago, Murf said:

Does anyone have a Map for the Locaem tribal capital of Famegrave official or otherwise?

For any of the hillfort style towns, I use

Map of Jonstown, Swenstown or Wilmskirk in Sartar KoH.

Map of Jonstown or Runegate in Sartar Companion (superseded in RQG)

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 3 weeks later...

After doing some research on the bronze era( admittedly I know little of.) I found a good map to use for Famegrave. 

DeBVx8WnDkVr9Er_-Hbcm50RRM0FeR45wCSvNm42nSM.thumb.jpg.b4c01d49c43683835e312fb5b9913e47.jpg

This is the the acropolis of a larger city. I read some where that the town was built on the foundations of a older city from a previous age. 

20 hours ago, Murf said:

After doing some research on the bronze era( admittedly I know little of.) I found a good map to use for Famegrave. 

While there is more to the Bronze Age than ancient Greece, for a demigod's last rest and fortress this might be a good fit. I wonder how much of it was found intact when the Locaem tribe moved in and started to push out previously arrived Balmyr farmers in those lands.

20 hours ago, Murf said:

This is the the acropolis of a larger city. I read some where that the town was built on the foundations of a older city from a previous age. 

Quite a few places are. Second Age Dragon Pass was very urbanized, even before the Dragonspeakers came to power and were able to provide the magically supported special grains etc. that made even the God Learner visitors blink in wonder.

I am less convinced that the Orgovaltes tribe of the Vingkotlings would have built that many Cyclopean hillforts - we know about Clearwine as a summer residence, and of Ulaninfort as the strongly fortified survival site in the Greater Darkness, when all the lesser sites had been abandoned, starved, or overrun.

But then, Great Bearded Bran (the Vingkotling demigod hero buried here, according to the crowd-sourced Dragon Pass - Land of Thunder: A Gazetteer to Kerofinela for HeroQuest 1st edition, was a foe of horsemen and charioteers. A slightly weird guardian for people associated with sun and horse worshippers by the authors of that gazetteer entry.

The circular shaft grave in Mycenae certainly would make sense for a hero of that stature.

Speculations on God Time population numbers may be in the realm of speculating the number of angels able to dance on a sewing needle's tip. (The answer to the latter is of course 42.)

18 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The Mycenaean citadels work well.  Several were used as the basis for the Balazaring citadel maps in Griffin Mountain.

Which ones exactly? Elkoi is Tyrins. I thought that Dykene would match up with Mycenae, but there are significant differences.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 8/14/2021 at 10:29 AM, jajagappa said:

The Mycenaean citadels work well.  Several were used as the basis for the Balazaring citadel maps in Griffin Mountain.

Yeah I noticed several similarities. Clear Wine Fort also looks like it was inspired. Leika's Place throne room looks like it was copyed from the Magaron at Pylos or Tyrins. Mycena's Megaron was placed at the edge of the fortifications and so is a bit diffrent.529-Figure1.3-1.png.fc58552a54e882b2030dc0cd63283f69.png

Some useful pics to provide some color. Not only for Famegrave but Leika's Clearwine palace.

mycenaeview.jpg.6d77c88324fed16d33207db9191e97a4.jpg

This shows Famegrave from the north with the lower town spreading out towards Big Beard Bran creek.151959083_PlaceMegeronatFamegrave.jpg.8a1f7a5a793e98060ec4ccdcc61c0b52.jpg

This is a view of a normal Magaron from the First/second age Dragon Pass region. After the Dragon Kill many of these hill fortresses were in ruins and abandon. However several were largely intact and suitable for occupation. When the Hoerotlings migrations began, they settled in the better preserved sites and used them for Tribal seats.   

v4QxFuF.thumb.jpeg.bef0959c48b9aa14041b17e197468a22.jpeg253008840_reconstructionoftheareaaroundthethroneroomalsocalledmegaronatthecitadelofMycenae.jpg.fd7856c7a023b2f056be4c5fbfcb226a.jpg

This is a floor plan for the Frame grave Megaron, unlike the Clearwine place which has hallways on each side. The Famegrave place is located to close to the outer wall and instead has a lower level accessed by a stairway.

1364326768_illustrationofasceneataMycenaeanpalace.jpg.652a2b431c81b4c2d06a3bb1e4b36ad8.jpg  

This is the outer courtyard with the Megaron in the back ground.v4QxFuF.thumb.jpeg.bef0959c48b9aa14041b17e197468a22.jpeg

This is a typical Magaron "throne room" on a busy but informal day.   

large_thumbnail.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1