Unexpected life forms found under Antarctica

Thalaba

New life forms turning up in Antarctica, according to a recent article.

Six hundred feet (183 metres) below the ice where no light shines, scientists had figured nothing much more than a few microbes could exist.

That is why a team from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration was surprised when they lowered a video camera to get the first long look at the underbelly of an ice sheet in Antarctica. A curious shrimp-like creature came swimming by and then parked itself on the camera's cable. Scientists also pulled up a tentacle they believe came from a foot-long jellyfish.

Sure it was from a jellyfish!

When the shrimp was later reached for comment by reporters, it had this to say: "Tekeli-li"

EDIT: Link to article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100315/science/science_us_sci_antarctica_sea_life_1

Edited by Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Anything for space is never a waste of money. Every time we do anything in space we learn something new and each and everytime our knowledge increases in the technology lines as well as pure knowledge of the universe increases. how can someone not see the value of that? Even joking about it is counter productive and sad. The ture path to becoming and remaining a world leader in technolony is to continue and step up our space program and actually return to the Moon and land on Mars and go beyond to the other planets in our solar system. Those that get there first will learn more and gain the knowledge that we should have and have laid the ground work for others to gain benefit of. Why shouldn't it be the US, it has been us for years doing it all. I say stop paying to defend the world, and have the rest of the world pay off their bills to this country for defending them and us coming to their aid and spend the money to bravely go where man has not yet gone before.!

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

This is not a "discovery". That shrimp is a pretty common one, and it's allready well known that there's lots of life beneath the ice sheet in Antarctica. If the camera cable had been longer, so they could have filmed up beneath the sheet, they would have seen a lot more.

Norwegian scientists have had a lot of fun with this "news" story. ;D

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

This is not a "discovery". That shrimp is a pretty common one, and it's allready well known that there's lots of life beneath the ice sheet in Antarctica. If the camera cable had been longer, so they could have filmed up beneath the sheet, they would have seen a lot more.

Norwegian scientists have had a lot of fun with this "news" story. ;D

SGL.

These Norwegian 'scientists' will also likely not be surprised when Cthulhu rises from the deep, I would surmise, saying they knew the Kraken was there all along.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

These Norwegian 'scientists' will also likely not be surprised when Cthulhu rises from the deep, I would surmise, saying they knew the Kraken was there all along.

What? Are you pulling my leg? You know he's down there! B-)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.