Magazines with CoC Articles?

AlHazred

Has anyone compiled a list of gaming magazines that have published CoC articles over the years? I've seen preliminary lists of English-language resources, but in compiling Pendragon scenarios for this thread, I see that there have been a lot of them in non-English publications. In particular, I see Casus Belli [French] has been publishing magazines for going on four decades, there have to be a lot just in that resource.

In doing this, I've found Google Translate is good with the European languages, and has allowed me to read articles people sent me thirty years ago. A little late, sure, but at least I got there!...

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

• 2 weeks later...

One of the challenges in creating such a list - and I've helped with the one on Yog-Sothoth.com - is that you usually need someone familiar with the local community's gaming community, many of which were rather small in the 80s and 90s. The difference between "fanzine" and "magazine" are also very permeable, so you can have the first issue of Dagon or the Unspeakable Oath, being literally run off at a copy shop while the later issues had regular print runs. Most RPG magazines, especially those dedicated to a single game like Call of Cthulhu, only had a handful of issues with very small (a few hundred at most) print runs.

As part of my research (with the help of several much-appreciated collaborators) for an update/expansion of our guide to Miskatonic Country scenarios, I can add two more magazine to that list above (which I'll go do to that wiki after I post this):

One quick note - that list is of "Cthulhu" magazines. Most are RPG but a few are just for fiction (Weird Tales, for example).

If I might editorialize for a second, I'd love to see more Call of Cthulhu fanzines, especially something dedicated to a particular era or location. If someone has a real passion for Cthulhu by Gaslight, or Down Darker Trails, or Pulp Cthulhu (for example), I think something like a fanzine is a great way to build up a community of like-minded people, which in turn adds more resources for people who want to run a game of that sort, hopefully creating a virtuous cycle.

• Like 1