"The Haunting" Sequel: Cat's Cradle (Miskatonic Repository)

Joe Kenobi

I am the co-author of a new scenario just released on the Miskatonic Repository: Cat's Cradle. This is our second scenario for the Repository, and more than a year of work went into it, including extensive playtesting. I am proud of where we landed!

For those who have always wanted a follow-up to The Haunting focused on Pastor Michael Thomas and the Chapel of Contemplation, this scenario is our love letter to you. We also designed the module with an on-ramp for players who have never experienced The Haunting, but would enjoy an investigation-heavy, handout-heavy, sandbox-style scenario set in 1920s Boston. You can see a trailer here:

If you check it out, please let us know what you think!

Edited by Joe Kenobi
  • Like 4

Purchased. As a big fan of "The Haunting," this is a no-brainer. Does it come with printable props?

Edited by AlHazred
  • Like 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

18 minutes ago, AlHazred said:

Purchased. As a big fan of "The Haunting," this is a no-brainer. Does it come with printable props?

Absolutely it does! It includes 8 standard handouts, some of them multi-page, as well as 10 dream handouts divided into two different sets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ejlertson said:

Mind if I ask a question?

How well does it handle interaction with: Of Wrath and Blood?
I ran it as a sequel to The Haunting, but if this could be used as a third chapter it would be awesome.

Great question. I am pleased to say they are fully compatible! Of Wrath and Blood and Cat's Cradle pick up on different narrative threads left by The Haunting, so either one can be run before or after the other as follow-ups to The Haunting.

In fact, we even include a brief section at the end of Cat's Cradle that suggests possibilities for more tightly aligning the play experiences between Of Wrath and Blood and Cat's Cradle. So yes, it can definitely serve as a third chapter following the other two!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An update I'm pleased to share: We have now created and launched a three scenario The Haunting Sequels Bundle on the Miskatonic Repository. It includes:

• The aforementioned Cat's Cradle
  • Jon Hook's Of Wrath and Blood
  • Evan Perlman's Dream House

That's three scenarios for less than $9, which is a 31% discount vs. buying them each individually. They are also all playable by the same playgroup--though I'll note Dream House is intended as a one-shot and not built to serve as part of an ongoing campaign. (But a playgroup that has played through The Haunting, Cat's Cradle, and Of Wrath and Blood can still experience Dream House as it was intended.)

Edited by Joe Kenobi
  • Like 4

On 7/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, werecorpse said:

Got it. Only read the preview but so far it provides a really interesting answer to most of the threads left unanswered in the haunting. Most significantly what was Corbitt doing? Nicely done.

IDK but nobody fancied his mummy.

39 minutes ago, Joe Kenobi said:

An update I'm pleased to share: We have now created and launched a three scenario The Haunting Sequels Bundle on the Miskatonic Repository. It includes:

• The aforementioned Cat's Cradle
  • Jon Hook's Of Wrath and Blood
  • Evan Perlman's Dream House

That's three scenarios for less than $9, which is a 31% discount vs. buying them each individually. They are also all playable by the same playgroup--though I'll note Dream House is intended as a one-shot and not built to serve as part of an ongoing campaign. (But a playgroup that has played through The Haunting, Cat's Cradle, and Of Wrath and Blood can still experience Dream House as it was intended.)

Link leads to an empty page, at least on my phone.

6 hours ago, Ejlertson said:

Link leads to an empty page, at least on my phone.

Hmm. I have the same issue from my phone--but it appears to be something buggy with DTRPG's mobile experience.

Is the DriveThruRPG navigation bar loading at the top of a white page for you? That's what I have. But then if I click the account logo in the top left to open up the menu, and click Desktop version at the bottom, the bundle page loads just fine. (It also loads just fine directly from the link on my laptop.)

I wish I had a better answer!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

We have now created and launched a three scenario The Haunting Sequels Bundle on the Miskatonic Repository.

Purchased. As a big fan of "The Haunting," this is a...

Wait, did I say that already? I'm having déjà vu...

• Thanks 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

• 2 months later...

I'm pleased to say Cat's Cradle has picked up a couple of (quite positive) reviews!

Rolling Boxcars had these nice things to say about it:

• "[A]dding Cat's Cradle to the mix will dredge up echoes from the past while providing you and your group an entertaining evening, or two, of excellent gaming experience."

• "The bulk of the scenario is an investigation—a web of clues spread throughout the Boston area... Cat's Cradle is a sandbox where Investigators are free to follow the clues in whichever direction they please".

• "Good sleuthing skills and thick sole shoes are the investigators’ best friends. The investigation and clue trails are solid and well thought out."

And here are a couple highlights from Reviews from R'lyeh:

• "Solid sequel to a classic scenario, The Haunting, which both explores the backstory to the scenario and personalises the consequences of the Investigators’ actions in the Corbitt house."
  • "Deep investigative dive into the backstory to The Haunting"
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I'm very proud to say XP Lovecat has posted a review of Cat's Cradle! For those unfamiliar, XP Lovecat is a YouTuber with in-depth scenario reviews and player and Keeper advice, not unlike Seth Skorkowsky.

Here's her video review:

A couple key quotes:

• "A scenario with lots of investigation and lots of different options and paths... The scenario was reminiscent of some of the older Call of Cthulhu scenarios."
  • "It was definitely sandbox. My players did not go in the order in the scenario, and everything worked out really well."

If you're interested, you can pick up Cat's Cradle here, or as part of The Haunting Sequels Bundle here.

• Like 2