Chaosium Inc.'s edition of Malory

I've just been reading a newly-published book on King Arthur, John Matthews' "The Great Book of King Arthur and His Knights" of the Round Table", a collection of retellings of Arthurian tales not found in Malory (though some well-known in their own right, such as the red and white dragons at Vortigern's castle).  In the Introduction, Matthews mentioned working on a new edition of Malory for Chaosium Inc., which, he stated, will contain "marginal glosses" to fill in the background on Malory's work.

This is the first I've heard of this edition, and Chaosium Inc.'s involvement suggests it's connected to "Pendragon" (and probably the sixth edition in particular).  Does anyone know more about it?  (The annotations are the part that's triggered my curiosity.)

The original campaign started by Nocturnal Media is here.  Management of the project transferred to Chaosium when Pendragon returned to the company.  They were taking late pledges, but I can't find that.  I'm sure it will eventually be available on the Chaosium webshop.  I actually feel a huge relaunch of the fiction section is bubbling under the surface since things have been quiet with it for a long time.  Maybe Le Morte will be the start of it?

I think this specific project is in the editing stage.

According to the latest update by the book editor, James Lowder, on Kickstarter (June 30th), "On the current schedule, backers will have the [Arthurian] Companion PDF by the end of July." [the Arthurian Companion and Annotated Le Morte were included in the same Kickstarter project]. Then, "My schedule will shift to the Annotated Le Morte in August. [...] Le Morte will be my primary Chaosium focus after Gen Con."

So, still no tentative release date, but the project should see significant advancements in Autumn.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, ScottK said:

Any news about this?

Seconded.

It was nice that James Lowder provided semi regular updates through Kickstarter.  The latest was that it seemed to be getting reasonably close to finished.

I was personally hoping this would launch a revitalized Chaosium fiction line of snazzy hardcover books that matched the quality of the RPG products, but it appears i was very wrong.

Edited by SilverSeraph

9 hours ago, SilverSeraph said:

I was personally hoping this would launch a revitalized Chaosium fiction line of snazzy hardcover books that matched the quality of the RPG products, but it appears i was very wrong.

Chaosium would need a snazzy line of freelance authors submitting novels (or lots of shorts), in order to offer that fiction line ... 😉

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Chaosium would need a snazzy line of freelance authors submitting novels (or lots of shorts), in order to offer that fiction line ... 😉

They could do what Green Knight Publishing did, and reprint many old works of Arthurian fiction.

2 hours ago, merlyn said:

They could do what Green Knight Publishing did, and reprint many old works of Arthurian fiction.

That doesn't sound (to me) like the "snazzy" fiction line that was being talked-about / hoped-for in the thread, above.

But I'm not Chaosium, and don't speak for them, and don't know their plans.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

They've released 2 Lovecraftian books and announced 1 Arthurian book.  Although they are nice, they are in paperback.  This is what I was getting at.  Would have preferred in hardcover, although I'm sure it boils down to cost and what they think people are willing to pay.

Edited by SilverSeraph

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...