[Age of Arthur] Important Personalities

rust

I assume that the supplement will include at least some of the personalities of the Age of Ar-

thur from history or legend.

Here is an incomplete list of "Arthurian Personalities" mentioned in the early sources:

Amr (Historia Brittonum)

Arthur (Y Gododdin)

Aurelius Ambrosius (Gildas)

Bedivere (Culhwch and Olwen)

Cerdic of Wessex (Anglo-Saxon Chronicle)

Constantine (historical)

Culhwch (Culhwch and Olwen)

Cynric of Wessex (Anglo-Saxon Chronicle)

Eliwlod (Welsh Triads)

Gawain (Culhwch and Olwen)

Guinevak (Culhwch and Olwen)

Guinevere (Culhwch and Olwen)

Hengest (Beda)

Hoel (The Dream of Rhonabwy)

Horsa (Beda)

Kay (Culhwch and Olwen)

Mabon ap Modron ((Culhwch and Olwen)

Mark of Cornwall (various)

Myrddin / Merlin (various)

Mordred (Annales Cambriae)

Olwen (Culhwch and Olwen)

Owain / Ywain (historical, Owain map Urien)

Taliesin (historical)

Urien (historical)

Uther Pendragon (Welsh Triads)

Vortigern (Beda)

Vortimer (Historia Brittonum)

I highlighted those which I think we will need as a minimum for the explanation of the

background of the setting.

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Oh their are so many more ... the key ones used ... should be the Archtypes .... Merlin the archtype druid, Taliesin the Archtype Bard .... etc. if we did a full historical work up it would be thick.

Also the saints should be mentioned. Padrig and the rest of the merry gang.

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I confess that in my head I think of this setting not so much as "Age of Arthur" but as "Time of Taliesin". :)

The same with me, which is why in my list above Taliesin is in bold letters, and Arthur is not. :)

(Charlie Chan)

Some links:

Lots of famous people on this site, esp. saints: http://www.cushnieent.force9.co.uk/CelticEra/

160 pages worth of Vortigern?: http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/vortigernhomepage.htm

And here's another obscure saint from SW Scotland who rode across Luce bay on a rock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Medan

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

There are a host of Cornish/Welsh/Breton saints of the ers, as well as another host of Irish/Scottish ones.

I'd put a paragraph on each personalty, with perhaps major ones taking half a page/one page and some with characteristics.

We should probably split personalities into Historical and Arthurian, so that those people who want a purely historical supplement can ignore the Arthurian ones.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

There are a host of Cornish/Welsh/Breton saints of the ers, as well as another host of Irish/Scottish ones.

True. Sainthood was a popular career path in these islands back in the day. :) Let's not forget they weren't saints while alive. They were monks (or nuns), priests and missionaries. This might feed into our discussions on character generation. The monastic life may not be an especially attractive option for PCs, but the missionary aspect, especially in a wild and hostile environment with pagan druidic types opposing you, might lend itself to a good adventure or two.

I'd put a paragraph on each personalty, with perhaps major ones taking half a page/one page and some with characteristics.

We should probably split personalities into Historical and Arthurian, so that those people who want a purely historical supplement can ignore the Arthurian ones.

The trick will be deciding what to do with the ones who fall somewhere in between, like (for example) Taliesin and even Myrddhin/Merlin. There were almost certainly real people with these names, but their personalities have become entangled with other people, folk legends, and possibly local pre-Roman deities.

The monastic life may not be an especially attractive option for PCs, but the missionary aspect, especially in a wild and hostile environment with pagan druidic types opposing you, might lend itself to a good adventure or two.

It seems to me that the monks - perhaps also the less often mentioned nuns - of the Celtic tra-

dition had a lot more freedom to move around and to make their own decisions than the monks

and nuns of the Roman tradition, so I could well imagine a monk or nun as a player character

- after all, someone has to deal in a professional way with demons, devils and all that other na-

sty stuff.

(Charlie Chan)

It seems to me that the monks - perhaps also the less often mentioned nuns - of the Celtic tra-

dition had a lot more freedom to move around and to make their own decisions than the monks

and nuns of the Roman tradition, so I could well imagine a monk or nun as a player character

- after all, someone has to deal in a professional way with demons, devils and all that other na-

sty stuff.

Indeed so. Exactly the point I was fumbling to make. Apropos of nothing, I've just noticed that I share a birthday with St Columba, although he's older than me by a few years. (1,446 years, to be precise.) :)