Gold-Gotti

Erol of Backford

11 hours ago, JRE said:

One of the things I really liked in this reboot of Glorantha is that you really did not need to go hunting old sources (though I still like doing it), as there is a solid rock foundation in the Guide to Glorantha and the Gloranthan sourcebook. Now a small crack has appeared in that foundation, and for a reason that honestly I find weak, as a work in print should trump an unpublished note, at least while it remains official.

From a rational point of view, you're right. But Glorantha is also and above all a story of friendship and loyalty to its creator. This can lead to some contradictions that trouble our brains but I think our hearts understand that they are less important than the loyalty to what Greg Stafford gave us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 10:54 PM, David Scott said:

Likewise Gotti maybe a common name, and gold is likely a common merchant moniker as in Goldentongue Gotti. Likewise mix it up with pirate naming conventions: Gold Beard Gotti, or Long Gotti Gold.

"Gold-Gotti" is likely just a nickname in the way we use "Mr Big" to informally refer to leaders of crime syndicates, gangs, business cartels, and the like. There are probably lots of Gold-Gottis, some bigger than others.

Some Gold-Gottis are probably also Golden Tongues😚 (and some might even just be Tongues😱)

Edited by MOB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I suddenly had a GM epiphany. When I ran Glorantha, I didn't use Gold-Gotti, both because he was kind of weirdly-placed in the scenario he showed up in, and also I wasn't sure how to roleplay him. This thread has given me a few ideas, but it suddenly today hit me -- he should be roleplayed like Ea-nasir, infamous copper merchant of Ur whose business practices led to a staggering number of complaint letters to him. We know about them, because he kept them all in a room of his house, like a museum of people he ticked off! The next time I run Glorantha, I'm putting in Gold-Gotti and channeling Ea-nasir!

Edited by AlHazred
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

On 8/5/2022 at 1:02 AM, JRE said:

Maybe that is how Gringle himself is selling it to the Colymar, but normally how ancient empires handled taxes was that they auctioned the right to collect taxes, and then the one who wins the auction pay the agreed amount (and more importantly, has to raise an estimate for extraordinary taxes introduced after the auction), and then try to bleed the area for all they can. They subcontract this down in the same way...

This is part of a scenario that demoes HQ by Jeff Richard ... It is pretty much as you stated it. That is, as it really happened in our world and what did happen on the Lozenge

Spoiler

you could have him spinning it to the Colymar like this if you chose to. The module does not, he is actually a solid dude as the kids say. 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:22 PM, Erol of Backford said:

I read somewhere he was paying part of their tax out of his own pocket. It'd take me forever to find it...

See above

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 5 months later...