Norican Giant - Gnydron

Erol of Backford

Was thinking it may be interesting to introduce a famous sea captain to the player character early on in the campaign. I see them moving back and forth to Nochet from the Heortland. Has anyone introduced an antagonistic Gnydron in their campaigns and if so how did it turn out, did they destroy any vessel the PC's were on or attacked a trader's ship?  Maybe they assisted some friendly Merfolk in slaying this beast? Could be up to size 54 of course you could always bump them up YGMV... p. 19 Gloranthan Bestiary. Ideas and thanks!

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

p. 19 Gloranthan Bestiary. Ideas and thanks!

Ah... "Gloranthan Bestiary", not "Glorantha Bestiary", you had me confused there!

image.png.f724e29afa1bbd67fc1d2e8997544513.png

Merfolk wouldn't want to kill one, "Mermen are very respectful of the Gnydron, who descend from the strongest Naiads of all". The characters might get merfolk to help draw it away with some kind of sacrifice.

Edited by PhilHibbs

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Merfolk wouldn't want to kill one

If it were tainted by Chaos and or possessed and was eating them they might? (keep going back to the Goya painting)

I'm just making up a reason, any reason. Why would a famous monster hunter want to kill the Norican Giant, whatever it may be. Was just guessing it may be a Gnydron? Could it be a sea giant? I  suppose there'd be some or we just make one up?

Does anyone know what the Norican Giant was? I suppose it could be any large sea creature...

Thank you Mr. Hibbs.

image.png.d1e06e674e650ae4a8c909b6f3fcc345.png

On 10/13/2022 at 8:08 PM, Erol of Backford said:

famous sea captain

Strangers in Prax - Barran the Monster Killer, no description and so could be anything. Same section mentions the Underdecker which spoke to Barran and notes the Underdecker was foresightful... The language was likely Seaspeech. It notes Jonathan Tweet as the author. MOB and Mike Dawson are noted as well. Maybe they know these creatures?

Edited by Erol of Backford

On 10/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Of course I only have issues 1-2. Any way to clip and post description?

I don't have a PDF version, but it starts "The Norican Giant is a gigantic Malasp Merman". His name was Nee-Gatta but he stumbled into a chaos cave and got tainted and grew into a giant. His RuneQuest physical stats are a little under double those of the Gnydron, but his DEX is only 10.

image.png.236b3503a34d01fec3fd97ef6ccb2f0e.png

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

A bit scarry with those stats maybe 60 strength and 80 size.

45 and 60. Or whatever you think appropriate, he keeps growing.

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Any guess as to what year and the location... I'll need to acquire the Hearts #3...

No indication in the article, presumably "when and where your adventurers are on a ship". He has rudimentary armouring skills, so although the pircture doesn't show it, he has mismatched bits of giant crab shell and sea serpent scale armour. His chaos taint gives him high magic resistance as well.

The article "The Monsters of Magasta" was by @Nick Davison so if you ask him nicely maybe he can help you out.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1