BRP Talislanta?

Ars Mysteriorum

There was a long discussion on this way back on the RQ discussion group (early 90s???) that lead to a Tales of the Reaching Moon article on it that I remember liking. It pretty much ended up at my position, and in it they discusses allowing SIZ to increase for fat characters, but then adding to ENC too to represent the excess weight as negative. I think they also talked about having a 1-for-1 decrease in DEX rank (in SB) for increase due to fat in SIZ, which I liked.

I just don't like the idea of someone getting fat, getting all the hp and damage related bonuses for the extra SIZ, but not paying a penalty anywhere for it.

One solution I liked was the one used in TimeLords. Extra Weight counted as permanent ENC. So in RQ terns if someone gained an extra point of SIZ, they would get the bonuses, but be treated as if they were carrying 6 ENC (6 ENC=1SIZ in RQ for ENC purposes).

Simple to do and easy bookkeeping.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't use encumbrance rules unless the setting calls for it. Talislanta is a game where I think encumbrance isn't a tremendous concern. Common sense can probably do the trick.

Once again though, this is a personal preference.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

• 5 months later...

Yes, I think it is possible, but some things would be different.

For starters you would need to covert Taslanta stats into BRP stats. You can probably work out a relationship too. So a +0 in Taslanta might be a 10 in BRP, and a +4 might be an 18 (I'ds be awhile since I looks as Taslanta, so I don't remeber what the "human" range is for stats).

For starters, make a table and ask yourself if the results feel right. The first column shows the Taslislanta stat, the 2nd is the BRP conversion.

-4     1d6

-3     1d6+3

-2     2d6

-1     2d6+3

0      3d6

+1     2d6+6

+2     3d6+3

+3     3d6+6

+4     2d6+12

I think the biggest obstacle would be that RQ/BRP tracks a lot of info that Taslanta doesn't, so you would be forced to fill in some gaps.

The quick method would be to pick a couple of skills that each race starts with +20%, and if necessary, a skill or two that starts lower than default. This method allows you to create a large table of skills and races, and make it easy to cross-reference.

Balance btw the races is not really needed to have a balanced game. Either let "weaker" races start with more experience at char-gen, or don't allow people to create characters of the stronger races until the group is experienced, and a replacement is needed.

Talislanta didn't balance races or archetypes. RQ didn't either. I wouldn't for a conversion. The balance comes from the setting not the rules.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

For starters, make a table and ask yourself if the results feel right. The first column shows the Taslislanta stat, the 2nd is the BRP conversion.

-4     1d6

-3     1d6+3

-2     2d6

-1     2d6+3

0      3d6

+1     2d6+6

+2     3d6+3

+3     3d6+6

+4     2d6+12

The quick method would be to pick a couple of skills that each race starts with +20%, and if necessary, a skill or two that starts lower than default. This method allows you to create a large table of skills and races, and make it easy to cross-reference.

Talislanta didn't balance races or archetypes. RQ didn't either. I wouldn't for a conversion. The balance comes from the setting not the rules.

Harshax, you've already got some great ideas going there! I think I'll be using this model (or a version of it) when I design the races.

Also, I agree. Balance has nothing to do with Talislanta in my mind.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

The only attempt at balance in Tal as far as I can tell is that none of the archetypes were given primary combat and primary magic together. Otherwise the divergence in power is pretty wild.

My thought is use Stormbringer 1 as a base for the conversion, and use the new BRP book for bells and whistles. 3d6 in order for the stats and then die bonuses for the plus stats, archetype by archetype or figure races' bnuses from the archetypes given. Then assign backgrounds similar to the ones in Stormbringer, taking into account the archetype descriptions and definitions of,for instance, primary combat (five weapons in Tal 3, for instance) and other Talislantan conventions Tal 2 and 3 have lists of suggested skill by profession, so that should be fairly straight forward, just assigning base percentages. Then give 1d6+2 misc. skills just like in SB1. I'll do a couple of archetypes this way and post them later, to see how it looks.

The stats, I suppose, would translate like this:

Tal Stormbringer

Strength Strength

Constitution Constitution

Dexterity Dexterity

Speed Dexterity

Intelligence Intelligence

Perception Power

Willpower Power

Charisma Charisma

Its going to have to be a judgement call on many archetypes to do it this way, but it would be fairly fast to do on the fly. It would probably be best to use single stat modifiers for the skills.

Magic might be the hardest part to convert, or maybe not if perfection isn't the goal...

Later, a sample converted archetype or two, just to see how this looks.

Tal Stormbringer

Perception Power

I think you should interpret Perception scores as -/+10 to Perception related skills, and not the POW Characteristic.

Just my 2d

EDIT:

Speed should affect Move

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Yes, both of those items make sense; they also add more steps. Remember, I am going for fast and dirty, to one of the simplest forms of BRP. Just taking it far enough so I can bolt the concept onto the system, and play...but for a more complete conversion those are good points. SB1 didn't even have a move characteristic, per se, and higher POW will add to the Perception bonus.

Thrall, male

6' 8" 300 lbs. INT -3, WIL +2, STR +4, DEX +2, CON +4, SPD +1

16 hit points, immune fear, inability to comprehend magic

This is all you need for the actual conversion. On the SB1 height/weight chart the male Thrall falls into the SIZ 17 category. Assuming that is average, he gets +6 to the SIZ roll. The INT gets him a -1d4, relatively small since his mental failing applies to magic primarily and a disinterest in much of anything except fighting. He is not stupid, just not intellectually inclined. His WIL of +2 gets a POW bonus of +1d6 because he is not only inable to even comprehend magic but also was likely designed to be resistant to it in a world where magic is often used in combat. STR +4 gets 2d4 in BRP, because the weapon of choice is the greatsword. Maybe a Thrall too weak to use a greatsword would be left in the swamp, so he needs a minimum 11. Probably, I would make that a min. default as well. CON +4 will get 1d8. DEX +2 and SPD +1 gets at least a +1d8, and a default of 13 for the same reason as the STR. In fact, reverse the STR and DEX bonus dice, because the stats for a greatsword are 11 and 13, respectively.

The skills. Thralls would mostly be warriors, with a few merchants and craftsmen, maybe farmers and hunters.

The base archetype is almost identical to the SB1 warrior already. Three weapon skills and ride. Add brawl, good to go. And 1d6+2 misc. skills, to have some combat or military application.

So, my BRP Thrall:

STR +1d8

CON +1D8

SIZ +6

INT -1d4

POW +1d6

DEX +2d4

CHA --

On a base of 3d6 in order. Average Thrall;

STR 15

CON 15

SIZ 16-17

INT 8

POW 14

DEX 15-16

CHA 10-11

Hit points 17-18

Damage bonus +1d6/1d4

Good bonuses. Positive numbers except Knowledge. Very good melee fighter, naturally.

Opinions?

Yes, both of those items make sense; they also add more steps. Remember, I am going for fast and dirty, to one of the simplest forms of BRP. Just taking it far enough so I can bolt the concept onto the system, and play...but for a more complete conversion those are good points. SB1 didn't even have a move characteristic, per se, and higher POW will add to the Perception bonus.

Thrall, male

6' 8" 300 lbs. INT -3, WIL +2, STR +4, DEX +2, CON +4, SPD +1

16 hit points, immune fear, inability to comprehend magic

This is all you need for the actual conversion. On the SB1 height/weight chart the male Thrall falls into the SIZ 17 category. Assuming that is average, he gets +6 to the SIZ roll. The INT gets him a -1d4, relatively small since his mental failing applies to magic primarily and a disinterest in much of anything except fighting. He is not stupid, just not intellectually inclined. His WIL of +2 gets a POW bonus of +1d6 because he is not only inable to even comprehend magic but also was likely designed to be resistant to it in a world where magic is often used in combat. STR +4 gets 2d4 in BRP, because the weapon of choice is the greatsword. Maybe a Thrall too weak to use a greatsword would be left in the swamp, so he needs a minimum 11. Probably, I would make that a min. default as well. CON +4 will get 1d8. DEX +2 and SPD +1 gets at least a +1d8, and a default of 13 for the same reason as the STR. In fact, reverse the STR and DEX bonus dice, because the stats for a greatsword are 11 and 13, respectively.

The skills. Thralls would mostly be warriors, with a few merchants and craftsmen, maybe farmers and hunters.

The base archetype is almost identical to the SB1 warrior already. Three weapon skills and ride. Add brawl, good to go. And 1d6+2 misc. skills, to have some combat or military application.

So, my BRP Thrall:

STR +1d8

CON +1D8

SIZ +6

INT -1d4

POW +1d6

DEX +2d4

CHA --

On a base of 3d6 in order. Average Thrall;

STR 15

CON 15

SIZ 16-17

INT 8

POW 14

DEX 15-16

CHA 10-11

Hit points 17-18

Damage bonus +1d6/1d4

Good bonuses. Positive numbers except Knowledge. Very good melee fighter, naturally.

Opinions?

Perfectly. This is like I would do it. :)

• 1 year later...

It seems that all of the material for the setting of Talislana is now available free (from the IP holder ) under a Creative Commons License (non-derivative) and is available here in pdf format:

http://talislanta.com/?page_id=5

I am not familiar with Talislanta, but do remember it being around for a long time. It is a wealth of material for anyone looking for a different fantasy setting or looking for new races/cultures to drop into their own setting.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

• 2 years later...

Last i knew all the Talislanta Books were free PDF downloads from the authors website, i will see if i can find the site again. Anyways i was considering doing some conversions of it my self, its just a matter of having time. doing conversions is like extra hobby for me if i cant sleep i work on projects. Also if memmory serves me i think there was other non talislanta book PDF's free for download by the author found it http://talislanta.com/?page_id=5

a_naturalists_guide_to_talislanta 1st edition stats so far it looks like basic stats conversions would be easy take 10+the stat bonus listed example .

original stats talislanta the nice thing is they give the height and weight ranges wich makes calculating size easy. if only all rpg's did that my life would be easier for doing conversions. lol!

Talislanta a_naturalists_guide_to_talislanta oringinal 1E stats

ARAQ

SIZE: 6'-6'6'; 130-230 Ibs.

EXCEPTIONAL ATTRIBUTES: STR + 2, DEX + 2, CON + 8

LEVEL: 1 +

ATTACKS/DAMAGE: As per weapon employed

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Survive up to six weeks without food or water, communicate with reptilian species

ARMOR: Leather

HIT POINTS: 12 +

HABITAT: Wastelands, wilderlands, Volcanic Hills

COMMENTS: Araq are a sOlcerous hybrid of Saurian and man. They are

vicious and cruel, and may be encountered in war bands of 2-24 individuals.

BRP stats

ARAQ

SIZE: 6'-6'6'; 130-230 Ibs. BRP size min 11, max 16, average size 13-14

EXCEPTIONAL ATTRIBUTES: STR 3D6+1 11-12, DEX 3D6+1 11-12, CON 3D6+7 17-18, SIZE 1D6+10 13-14,

all others stats 3D6 10-11, use size above to calulate size using Character Siz Chart on Page 26 of BRP

aka BIG YELLOW BOOK as i like to call it!

LEVEL: 1 +

ATTACKS/DAMAGE: As per weapon employed

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Survive up to six weeks without food or water treat this as a special power or a skill= CONx5% ,

communicate with reptilian species special power

ARMOR: Leather as per BRP book probally 1 or 2 points if i recall correctly.

HIT POINTS: 15-16

Average Damage Bonus: +1D4

SENSE SKILLS:green 25%, experienced 50% ,sense skills, spot,search,listen obviously i this is a bit general.

HABITAT: Wastelands, wilderlands, Volcanic Hills

COMMENTS: Araq are a sOlcerous hybrid of Saurian and man. They are

vicious and cruel, and may be encountered in war bands of 2-24 individuals.

Edited by skull

,The eight attributes used in the Talislantan system are as follows:

INT (Intelligence): Intellectual capacity, WILL (Will): Willpower PER, (Perception): Sensory awareness, CHA (Charisma): Presence,

forcefulness, STR (Strength): Physical strength, DEX (Dexterity): Agility, CON (Constitution): Endurance, resilience, SPD (Speed):

Quickness, rate of movement.

Talislanta BRP

INT = INT if it is not listed then it = 10, if listed take 10 + the listed value.

WILL = POW if it is not listed then it = 10, if listed take 10 + the listed value .

PER = SENSE SKILLS if it is not listed then it = 10 if listed take 10 + the listed value.

for skill take stat x5% for experienced creature,other wise stat x2.5.

CHA = APP if it is not listed then it = 10, if listed take 10 + the listed value.

STR = STR if it is not listed then it = 10, if listed take 10 + the listed value.

CON = CON if it is not listed then it = 10, if listed take 10 + the listed value.

Speed = move (listed under EXCEPTIONAL ATTRIBUTES) if it is not listed then it = 10, if listed take 10 + the listed value for move.

SIZE = SIZ use SIZE stat to calulate size using Character Siz Chart on Page 26 of BRP Big Yellow Book.

lol yes i could not sleep so why not lol!

Edited by skull