Round Table Ceremony?

The rulebook describes the requirements, duties, and benefits of being a Round Table knight, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of ceremony attached. 

I can't also say that I can recall a great deal about a Round Table ceremony in the sources, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

How would you recognize a knight joining the Round Table in your campaign?

Not KAP, but here is a quote: 

"This is the oath of a Knight of King Arthur's Round Table and should be for all of us to take to heart. I will develop my life for the greater good. I will place character above riches, and concern for others above personal wealth, I will never boast, but cherish humility instead, I will speak the truth at all times, and forever keep my word, I will defend those who cannot defend themselves, I will honor and respect women, and refute sexism in all its guises, I will uphold justice by being fair to all, I will be faithful in love and loyal in friendship, I will abhor scandals and gossip-neither partake nor delight in them, I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help, I will forgive when asked, that my own mistakes will be forgiven, I will live my life with courtesy and honor from this day forward.”

Joseph D. Jacques, Chivalry-Now: The Code of Male Ethics

this is a modern take, as sexism would not be in 500 AD, but notice how many traits it hits.

• Like 2

Thanks! I looked into it a bit more, so I think there might be a few more details in Malory III.15:

"...then the king stablished all his knights, and them that were of lands not rich he gave them lands, and charged them never to do outrageousity nor murder, and always to flee treason; also, by no means to be cruel, but to give mercy unto him that asketh mercy, upon pain of forfeiture of their worship and lordship of King Arthur for evermore; and always to do ladies, damosels, and gentlewomen succour, upon pain of death.  Also, that no man take no battles in a wrongful quarrel for no law, nor for no world's goods.  Unto this were all the knights sworn of the Table Round, both old and young.  And every year were they sworn at the high feast of Pentecost."

Modifying this for male and female knights and making a few changes - e.g. "outrageousity" isn't even in OED, so it's best removed to avoid player confusion - I'll go with:

"I, Sir ____________, swear to King Arthur that I shall never do wicked deeds nor murder, and that I will always flee treason; also, that by no means I shall be cruel, but give mercy unto all that asketh mercy, upon pain of forfeiture of the worship and lordship of King Arthur for evermore; and always to do lords and ladies succour, upon pain of death; and that I will never take battles in a wrongful quarrel for no law, nor for no world's goods."

Edited by SaxBasilisk
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hzark10 said:

I have always believe it to be a form of outrageous, taken to an extreme. Meaning, one is humble in all things. Nothing should be done to extreme.

Given that it is paired with murder, I think it is more serious than that. Perhaps things that would outrage the society. Rape, blasphemy?

Actually pretty close to what Sax Basilisk came up with: "wicked deeds".

Edited by Morien
  • Like 3