BRP Fallout

tectuctitlay

I actually did this up as a sourcebook for GURPS a while back... Given the fact that I can just recycle most of the fluff I've already written, it shouldn't take long to finsh (as long as I can find the time to sit down and work on it anyway).

Hey Nathan I thought that looked like your work. Awesome. About a year ago I stumbled across your FINE adaption of GURPS Fallout and was quite impressed. I even contacted you to see if you could send me a Word version so I could convert it to my system of choice, which just so happens to be Basic Role Playing. You did send me a copy by the way so thanks.

I never actually got around to converting it myself unfortunetly as I have been busy writing Classic Fantasy I and now II, but did do a character sheet for my brothers BRP Fallout campaign. We play about once a month and have been for about 4 or 5 years now.

I'll be seeing my brother tomorrow and will let him know that your doing this. He is quite the Fallout expert and has loads of weapons and beasties already converted to BRP. If your looking for some additional playtesters, count us in.

Rodney Leary

Oh yah, here is my character sheet if you can use it.

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=201

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Has anyone already written up any random settlement generation tables? (in a sourcebook perhaps? I didn't see any in the core rules) Any rules for dealing with technology levels? I've just arrived at the "Design Your Own Settlement!" section in my conversion, any I'd prefer not to write anything that contradicts any existing rules...

Guess that's no then? Oh well, I've decided to drop Technology Levels all together anyway, and go with a "goods and services by settlement" section....

Maybe when it comes to equipment, weapons, armor, etc., group them as primitive, medievil, modern, and futuristic like BRP did. That way a specific settlement can be noted as only possessing "modern" weapons, but "primitive" transportation for example. This is in keeping with what you did with GURPS Fallout noting the various TLs of settlements.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Alright, so I just uploaded preview #2 of my Basic Fallout document - fully the first third of the book (which weighs in at about 50 pages). My major concern (and the one thing that I'm really hoping to get feedback on) is my newly re-designed random settlement generation rules.... Oh yah, any mention of the GURPS rules you stumble across will be fixed before I release the final version (I'm converting from the original Fallout sourcebook I wrote for GURPS).

Edited by tectuctitlay

• 3 weeks later...

Having read the preview, I am impressed. There's a whole load of background information some of which I never knew or have completely forgotten about. The Vault list and the Gazetteer are my favourites, great stuff going on there. I know you asked for comments on the community creation, but I haven't actually tried rolling any, sorry. But having read it, it seems versatile and well thought out. In summary, I would love to see more of this stuff!;t)

EDIT: tectuctitlay, any thoughts on character creation process? I was thinking that it would cool to make it in story mode, at least partially. For example, let the characters first roll primary characteristics, and then let them take the GOAT test as adolescents. This would serve two purposes. Firstly, it could give the characters some bonuses in various skills and/or characteristics (like in the computer game), and secondly define their 'profession' in the vault community. This in turn would give them their professional skills (and then they would have free points etc. as normal). The questions of the GOAT would also make the players think how their characters would react in certain situations and so on, ie. help them roleplay the character maybe?

I was also thinking it would cool to make a table of random events etc. (like in MRQII for example) which would further individualise the character and give some background. These might be general vault events and/or professional events? Of course, this would work only on vault born characters. After these rolls, you could start the play in the vault with the characters performing their duties, and start the campaign from there. This would give the characters some time to get used to the system and develop their character further in a relative safe and limited environment. Then something would happen that forces them to leave the vault (much like in the computer games)

Edited by Verderer

Alright, so I just uploaded preview #2 of my Basic Fallout document - fully the first third of the book (which weighs in at about 50 pages). My major concern (and the one thing that I'm really hoping to get feedback on) is my newly re-designed random settlement generation rules.... Oh yah, any mention of the GURPS rules you stumble across will be fixed before I release the final version (I'm converting from the original Fallout sourcebook I wrote for GURPS).

Woooooooowww! Impressive! I was always looking for a Fallout setting for BRP, and yours is just amazing! Is the "bc value" a GURPS thing? Otherwise the systems seems very complete and easy enough to handle. It reminds me a bit on the "Settlement Generator" of "Darwins World" or the "Barbarians of the Aftermath" book. But it's excelent work, mate! I love you use d6 for random rolls, makes things easy (don't know why, I just love them ;) )

Glad you liked it! I've been steadily plugging away, trying to get it finished (through I must admit that I've gotten sidetracked over the last few days... BRP has a disturbing lack of mass combat rules, so I decided to cobble some together). Oh yah, and "bc value" is short for "bottlecap value", one of the currencies I'm using.

Ah! "bottlecap value" ok, makes sense ;) Thanks for putting all this stuff together. If you need some help converting or putting rules together, let me know.

The lack of mass battle rules is true, the rule book itself suggests 'looking somewhere else" for these. If you need some rules for "bigger" battles (not mass combat), have a look at my minion rules in the Download section. Maybe they are helpful, and feel free to use them.

pansophy: Thanks for pointing out the file (I'll check it out) and for the offer of help (I just may take you up on it!). On the mass combat front, I'd planned to be finished (and back to Fallout) by Monday, but my corporate masters decided that I needed to work a little mandatory overtime this weekend (which seriously cuts into my writing time).

Verderer: Sorry it took me so long to write back, but I just noticed that you edited your post. I really like the GOAT idea, but unfortunately character creation is about 90% written already (I'm going with a system closer to the first three games then the second two: generate attributes and skills, pick up to two talents, then (optionally) purchase perks... as long as you meet the prereqs). I had, however, planned to do a "sourcebook" of sorts some time after I wrap up the core book. The focus of this sourcebook will be optional rules and "plug-ins" (one article I had in mind was Fallout 3 and New Vegas perks, which I'm not including in the core book). I AM in the market for 4 or 5 additional articles to finish out the book (on top of the aforementioned perks article and a scenario I want to include), so your idea would fit perfectly! So long story short, I'll be happy to write it up when I get the time.

Edited by tectuctitlay

Here's a few sample perks as an example of what I'm doing:

Kama Sutra Master [3 points]

Prerequisites: CON 10, DEX 10.

This Perk confers great stamina and skill when doing the dirty. The character gains a +30% bonus to all sex-related Stamina rolls.

Lead Foot [3 Points]

Prerequisites: Unavailable to Deathclaws. DX 13; Drive 60%; Sense 60%.

The Character can drive like a professional racer, getting a +25% bonus to the normal Rated Speed attribute of the vehicle. This speed increase is routine, and does not instill any extra penalty or rolls. Note that this does not mean that the ride would be by any means comfortable for the passengers...

As you've probably noticed, Kama Sutra Master doesn't do much, but I when I'm converting things I like to be thorough. Note that I'm getting the Perk costs from the Fallout level requirement (though I might change that later, not sure I'm happy with that system).

Edited by tectuctitlay

Perks and traits sound fun, tectuctitlay. How would the characters learn them (what are the points for?) I am assuming that in addition to them, you would still keep the regular BRP skill learning mechanism?

As to the GOAT thingy, it is just something I though might be fun to use for several reasons: 1) the players would have to think from the start, how their character would react in certain situations, ie. it would help them form an idea of their character's personality, and 2) the players couldn't be 100% sure what traits/perks/bonuses each GOAT score would give them. Only the GM would know the results and their effects. This would bring a certain degree of uncertainty: 3) the GOAT test would indicate what vault jobs the character is suited for (duh) and therefore provides the characters' starting profession. Again, a certain degree of uncertainty. Will you be the vault hairdresser, sanitation engineer, or perhaps just a lowly security guard?

The Perks look like fun, as long as they are not overpowering. But I would like to see this system as an option, as not every group and player might like it.

One has to be very careful designing a Perk/Flaw system, as some players will try to MinMax their characters.

I hope there won't be any Perks/Flaws for 'Creatures' as I always get the feeling they mess up any system. If a 'thing' has a special 'something', it should simply be described in the text. And personally I hate looking up all the 'specialities' during a game session when I game master. It wastes time I would rather spend on the story.

But for Characters a Perks/Flaws system is ok. It gives a nice additional touch to the character. It would be excellent if there are perks for some more useless but nevertheless fun stuff, like 'Air of Mystery' or 'Charming' or 'Personal Hideout', etc. I mean stuff that does not directly add to skills but give other advantages. :)

You could base the amount of points a character gets for buying Perks/Flaws as it is done for the Super Powers. These also include Character Failings, so the Perk/Flaw system could be derived from it and would be 'part of the basic rules' in a way.

The Talent system is not only optional, but it's also only available at character creation (they're a little bad mixed with a little good; you can take up to 2 but you're not required to take any). Talents are actually a lot like Step 6 in the BRP core. Right now Perks are purchased using a character point budget (like superpowers), but I might implement a simple "experience point system" instead, bringing Perks more in line with the computer games. Perks are also optional (I made sure to put that in the text), mostly because a few of them are uber-powerful and could lead to some serious munchkinism (the Slayer and Sniper perks for example.... Every hit (melee and ranged respectively) automatically become critical hits). And yah, Talents and Perks are for PC (and "end boss" NPCs) only.