Argrath's Birthplace

Scornado

23 minutes ago, Scornado said:

I believe Argrath was born somewhere in the Starfire Ridges but is there anything in canon to narrow that down further?  It seems to me it might be a place of significance.

If you look at the Starter Set map, you'll see the Starfire Ridges are split into three areas: Upper, Big and little Starfire Ridge. There are no permanent settlements there, but the ridges are sacred to Orlanth Thunderous and serve as a major temple for that cult (see the GMSP adventure book). It would suggest that Argrath's mother went there to give birth in an auspicious place (likely in a storm, with thunder and lightning as appropriate). Or less excitingly, she was a hunter, herder or bandit who are the main inhabitants.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

David, yes just looking at that very map.  I was originally thinking Irnar's Peak but that's sacred to Lankhr Mhy.  I like the idea of it being just "in the wilderness", it will work for the story I am preparing.   I'd not want to miss any more canoniacal specificity if there is some so wanted to check with the collective wisdom.

There are confusing accounts of the defunct Karandoli Clan in King of Sartar - Argrath claimed to be descended from them, although everyone else thinks they were extinct. See in particular The Story of Ortossi and His Sons, KoS p.183ff. Shades of how The Jackal got his passport, perhaps?

I malign Argrath's ancestry via the medium of an imaginary folk-horror first-person shooter video game in Act VII of Black Spear. Potential spoiler below.

Spoiler

If Argrath is in fact the Gloranthan equivalent of Anti-Christ, as all reasonable people concede, then by all means there should be dire and terrible omens at his birth, exactly as Scotty suggests. I am certain that this is what he intended. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1