Foundry VTT Fan implementation

Dangermouse

Well I am pleased to announce the initial release of my fan made implementation of Rivers of London for Foundry VTT - you can get the code over here : https://github.com/Genii-Locorum/Rivers-of-London

This is an unofficial release - so in no way supported or endorsed by Chaosium.

The software does not have any skills, spells, equipment in it - you will need to build those yourself (so make sure you have your rule book handy) - but it does have the functionality to create them and play the game.

If you have any questions, want advice etc, then please do shout and I'll try and answer them.  Or I'm happy to arrange some demo's.

And any feedback on the implementation (requests for future development) is welcome.

Have a great weekend.

PS I hope this explains why I've been asking lots of questions

Edited by Dangermouse
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

Version 0.1.4 released - some more bug fixes and removing superfluous data from chat messages to reduce the messages.db file size.

Things I am thinking of to work on next but in no particular order:
1) Opposed rolls
2) Removing a lot of the roll data from the template (html) files are deriving them from the skills, spells etc directly with a view to making macro hotbars work

If there are any feature requests (or bugs) you want looking at please shout

• Like 2

Hi Numtini.  This was a tricky one and this is the approach I've taken.  This is Chaosium' s game and so taking some core stuff from the rules isn't something I want to do.  I want RoL to succeed (I'm rubbish at writing scenarios so want the game to do well and then see more products).   Therefore I don't want to release an implementation that would mean people don't need to buy the game - but I balanced that with wanting to make it easy to run a game and get people enthused.

So I've avoided adding spells, advantages, skills equipment etc but appreciate that things like bonus dice, stats etc are built in.

I did take a steer from the Call of Cthulhu Foundry implementation which didn't include skills etc on the basis that I hoped that if Chaosium were ok with that approach there they would be ok with me following the same tack.  Now Chaosium haven't approved or endorsed this and VTTs are outside the Fan Material Policy.  At the end of the day if Chaosium are unhappy with the implementation I will change or remove it as they want - as I say I want to support the game not undermine it.  

So I've taken a very conservative/risk adverse approach - but I get that it makes the users life a little trickier (I spent a Christmas break setting up the Call of Cthulhu stuff for my game but I may have gone a bit overboard).

If the set up of skills, spells etc isn't intuitive in the Foundry implementation please let me know and I'll happily talk you through things (if that would help). 

Sorry - that was a bit of a ramble but just trying to set the scene.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Dangermouse
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 12:31 PM, Dangermouse said:

This was a tricky one and this is the approach I've taken.  This is Chaosium' s game and so taking some core stuff from the rules isn't something I want to do.  I want RoL to succeed (I'm rubbish at writing scenarios so wont the game to do well and then see more products).   Therefore I don't want to release an implementation that would mean people don't need to buy the game - but I balanced that with wanting to make it easy to run a game and get people enthused.

Ok. I'm new to Foundry, but there's never been an issue with character sheets on roll20 at least to my knowledge.

3 hours ago, Dangermouse said:

I'm being cautious - overly cautious perhaps  🙂

Following the lead set by the CoC sheet seems sensible!

(one notion -- did you reach out to the developer of that sheet?)

C'es ne pas un .sig

I've been having a think about what @g33k and @Numtini have said - and I will look at including the skills (just names and the internal configuration) for those skills that appear on the character sheet PDF file (i.e. common and weapon skills).  Yes, it's not everything a GM may want, but it's also (hopefully) me not crossing a line over the rule book.

I will also look at adding examples of advantages, spells etc - but not anything from the rule books that isnt on the character sheet.

Hopefully a compromise position

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

V0.1.5 of Foundry VTT implementation released including the named skills (no descriptions) that appear on the character sheet and a few generic examples of advantages, equipment etc.  Also included some "how to" instructions that may help.

Edited by Dangermouse
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

V0.1.6 is now released  

-The three instructions documents moved to a Journal compendium to make them visible in game
-Checks rolls code refactored to enable item macros
-Item macro functionality added - drag item to the hotbar - you can trigger rolls from there for spells, skills, or weapons (otherwise display the equipment sheet)  
-Tweak to natural armour to remove the armour points if the advantage is removed
-Bonus/Penalty dice selector on difficulty rolls is now -1 to +1, unless it's for attacks (weapons or spells) in which case it remains at -2 to +2.  The underlying 
functionality hasn't changed (max one bonus/penalty dice, but with the extra one carried over to damage rolls) - it is just a cosmetic change
-Actor and Item sheets redesigned to incorporate a bit more colour, make the font a bit larger and to fix some bugs
-Context menus added to spells, skills etc - at this stage just edit and delete (icons removed in the sheet redesign) - more functionality may follow

ROL.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya, I've been using this system in my games and it's good!

Does the combat tracker work for other people? For some reason I can't start an encounter and I'm not sure if it a bug with my version or the module.

Really well done on the system though! Works a lot better than just using the form fillable PDF

Hi,

Happy to jump on a zoom call sometime to see what the problem is.  It has run fine for me.  

What isn't working for you?

Have you set the initial player order via the GM tools first and then trigger initiative to say who goes first and roll the dice to determine which direction play goes in?

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning.

I've released V7 of Rivers implementation for Foundry - this should work with V11 of Foundry and I've also added a check to stop duplicate skills, spells and advantages being added to the character sheet.

If you hit any problems please let me know.

I'm working on an implementation for Basic Role Playing for Foundry but if there are any features people want in the Rivers implementation please let me know.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WisdomOfWombat said:

I would love to see a greenish sheet for demimonde characters.

Let me have a think about how to do it.  Well that was easier than I expected.  Does this work for you?  If the PC or NPC is flagged as Demi-Monde this is what you get (otherwise everything else is the blue colouration)?

If you're happy with that I will include it in the next release.

P.S.  It's not perfect - there's a slight blue paper background around the image - 8 pixels wide.  This is taxing my brain on how to correct it

image.png.2d7033b2c688b4fbc33db0a2aff2e3b2.png

Edited by Dangermouse
  • Like 1

V8 of Foundry implementation of Rivers has been released. Compatible with Foundry V11-release 300. Sheets now have a grey background rather than blue. All the blue text and banners remain but for Demi Monde Characters/NPCs they are green (as in the previous screenshot)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

V11 of Rivers of London Foundry VTT Fan based implementation released (a small bug fix and checked against V11.308) - apparently I forgot to say V10 had been released.

I've been very lax on the Rivers front and developing new functionality - I have a long list of excuses ready including that I'm working on three other systems for Foundry implementation.

However I would appreciate any feedback people have if they are using the system - are there changes or other features you want to see included.  But please remember this is a fan based implementation and so I won't release compendium of equipment, spells etc or anything that crosses or gets close to an IP/copyright line.

• Like 1