NJ Con III 13-14 May 2011

Mysterioso

This might be of interest to some people here.

NJCON 3 is on for May 13th and 14th at the La Quinta hotel in Somerset, New Jersey.

The NJCON3 website is now open for game master registration at: http://www.njcon.org/ NJCON3 will include all hobby games. So if you have been wanting to GM a one-shot RPG scenario, run a sci-fi skirmish, demo a fantasy wargame, recreate Waterloo in 6mm, or even show off some of your boardgame collection, there is space for you!

For more information on this con, see: http://njcon.org/contact.php

I'm from Staten Island too.

I was thinking of checking this con out if there are people going to be playing BRP. Been trying to learn the rules myself, being quite green to the game, and nothing facilitates learning faster than experience.

Let me know if there is any word about BRP being played here.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

Howdy neighbor! We should talk. :)

I've been mulling it over Mysterioso, and I'm thinking about calling one or two people out here and seeing if I can't get a small group together to do at least one day of the con.

Sounds good. :)

If you're doing a game, I'll definitely try and make it.

If it's a small con, that would be good too. The last Con I was at was the NYCC. It was packed, and kinda terrifying. Played the Ravenloft Boardgame (dissapointing. Reminded me of a bad version of Arkham Horror. Arkham Horror rocks though, and Ravenloft was quite forgettable.) Got to meet J. Michael Straczynski (which was awesome). But I think I would like the smaller cons better.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

Here is the latest update I got on it:

Greetings from the NJCON staff!

We are pleased to announce that the dates for NJCON3 are set for May 13-14 2011. The convention site this year is the La Quinta Inn & Suites Somerset. The address of the hotel is: 60 Cottontail Ln Somerset, NJ 08873 Phone: 1-732-560-9880 The convention will open at Noon on May 13 (for set up) and gaming by 2:30pm. Friday gaming is until Midnight. Gaming on Saturday, May 14, 2010 will begin at 9:00am with set up beginning at 7:30am. Gaming will go until Midnight unless you desire to play later.

Our website is currently open for game master registration at http://njcon.org/ or email us at events@njcon.org. We welcome any and all games, from wargaming to roleplaying to boardgaming.

Lodging is $75.00 per room, all rooms are 2 double beds and there are 20 rooms set aside at the $75.00 price. Tax is 15% for a room total of $86.25 per night. If a room has more than 2 occupants you must pay $10.00 per person for the additional persons in the room. The rooms at the $75.00 + tax rate is good if you register on or before May 1st under NJCON3. Included in your room is a full continental breakfast with waffles, scrambled eggs, cold cereals, bagels, fruit, etc. The hotel restaurant will be open during the convention to serve lunch and dinner. Alcoholic beverages must be purchased from the hotel bar. No BYOB into the ballroom is permitted due to the hotel liquor license. Beers are about $4.00.

We hope that you will be able to join us!

If you're doing a game, I'll definitely try and make it.

If it's a small con, that would be good too. The last Con I was at was the NYCC. It was packed, and kinda terrifying. Played the Ravenloft Boardgame (dissapointing. Reminded me of a bad version of Arkham Horror. Arkham Horror rocks though, and Ravenloft was quite forgettable.) Got to meet J. Michael Straczynski (which was awesome). But I think I would like the smaller cons better.

I don't know. I've never run anything at a con and wasn't thinking about doing so but I guess I could sign up to run some BRP there. However, I was thinking about going as a player. I don't have much experience with minis, but that cityscape from 2008 looks impressive. I actually don't have much experience with roleplaying conventions either. I went to Origins once some time in the late '90s and that's it. This year may be the year of cons though. I've tentative plans on meeting up with some old friends over at GenCon later this year.

70/420

Thanks for posting that Mysterioso, I'll talk it over with my lady and see if we can go. Either that, or she'll roll her eyes and have me go by myself with a footprint on my ass. ;D

If there is a presence of BRP, I'll gladly join in, no matter who is running it. Can't wait to try the system out.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

• 4 weeks later...

If you guys are interested in Cons in New Jersey you might want to run down to Princeton next weekend (March 11-13, 2011)...

There is a great game convention at Princeton University that has been running there during spring break for the last .. well 36 years.

The con is really unique because of the continuity. It uses a single system and you play 1 character (hopefully.. assuming you live) throughout the con. You advance from low level to high level over the course of 4-8 individual game 'runs'. The con has a unified 'theme' that all the GMs have worked together to build pieces of. It is a really great time and definitely worth the trip if you can manage it.

Again.. It runs from March 11-13th this year.

For more info check out :

www.princecon.org

That's neat!

Yeah.. it really is. It's great to be able to take a character from novice to master and play a focused game for a couple of days straight.

It really gives you the opportunity to get into the character if you want to.

I've been to ... umm well ... 6-8 of these over the years I guess ... with various groups of folks. I've always had a great time.

Checked out the princeton con, that looks really cool. Cool concept too.

I hear you Chaot, things have been really hectic here too. The only time I actually remember and consider the con is when I visit the forums. Otherwise else, it's just work, hating work, work, despising work, work, trying to figure out how to set the place on fire so I don't have to work there anymore, work, work, work...

I'm still seeing about keeping my options open with going. Hell, it's close enough where maybe I'll just go for a day and check it out.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

Yeah.. it really is. It's great to be able to take a character from novice to master and play a focused game for a couple of days straight.

I also like the concept of the various games all playing to an over all metaplot. What's the game system like?

Otherwise else, it's just work, hating work, work, despising work, work, trying to figure out how to set the place on fire so I don't have to work there anymore, work, work, work...

I'm still seeing about keeping my options open with going. Hell, it's close enough where maybe I'll just go for a day and check it out.

Yeah. I've really got sit down and figure out what my schedule is.

70/420

I also like the concept of the various games all playing to an over all metaplot. What's the game system like?

The system is somewhat D&Dish but really geared for Con play. There's a copy of the rulebook on the website.

4 Classes... Hero, Mage, Cleric, Guardian (Fighter/Mage) ... Heros have a lot of 'Feat' options to make them into pretty much any sort of non-magic dude. A nice variety of racial types with specific benefits... The options carry over into all the classes though allowing each class to be rather customizable. Clerics are of 4 specific 'cult-like' religions... each getting special powers and restrictions...

The spell system is point based like RQ... but with level based progression... spells cost less to cast as you become more proficient... a level 1 spell costs much less to cast than a level 5... but the costs change as you progress in levels... becoming less and less costly as you become an ALL POWERFUL WIZARD!!!

ok.. got a little carried away there.

Anyway there are lots of manipulation options for spells that are really cool... as you become more powerful the easy spells can have all sorts of tricky little things done to them... you can extend them or increase the damage or area... it's a bit complex but great for the player who is into that sort of thing... while still being streamlined to run in a Con environment.

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to play this year... maybe a Guardian or Hero.. I usually play a Cleric or Mage.

• 2 months later...