Sniffles

I am just idly thinking about minor Gloranthan diseases: 

According to RQiG page 155, The Sniffles only occurs in the mild form and causes no characteristic loss.  Therefore it won't kill anyone.

Disease spirits multiply by killing infected people,. 

So how do we get epidemics of The Sniffles?

Per RQG 154, lots of ways:

Contracting a Disease

An adventurer can be exposed to disease in many ways. Disease spirits are the most common way; they may be attracted by pollution, sent as a curse or by an evil cult, or simply present for other reasons. Broo always carry one disease or another, ...

Add in Carry Disease & Cause Disease too.

Disease spirits can likely spontaneously come into being from the miasma around corrupt and rotting flesh, or just bud off another spirit after feasting on the departing spirit of some dead animal, that wasn't killed properly. Curses, pollution cause them to come into being.

I'd suggest you don't tie yourself to a mechanism. Miasma theory is the only real answer.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

So according to miasma theory a   stream of disease spirits is generated spontaneously?  

Now as a parent and grandfather I have observed that small children have minor diseases more often than adults.  Obviously the miasma from diapers does it.  That is a wonderful explanation, worthy of Aristotle or Hippocrates.  It's obviously very advanced stuff for Glorantha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

So according to miasma theory a   stream of disease spirits is generated spontaneously? 

What I draw upon is two conditions: 1) acts of Dis-order (personal or social) create the "cracks" by which dis-ease spirits can enter a person directly or enter a place (e.g. city) and proliferate; 2) acts offensive to one or more deities cause them to withdraw their protection from Mallia (e.g. someone dumps offensive trash upon one of Ernalda's sacred sites causes her to let Mallia out of her constraints) until the offense is removed and proper sacrifice is made again.

Both create good opportunities for your CA or shaman investigator to try to uncover the mystery behind the illnesses and address the true problem.

• Like 2

I'm trying to work in ways to include Shamans in the daily lives of more civilised tribes. I'm thinking of running them something similar to the Witches of the Discworld - someone you go to to deal with the little problems that crop up in daily lives. Ones that don't warrant the big hammer of god powers.

Got the sniffles - go to the shaman to get the (very) minor disease spirits moved on.

Lost a family necklace somewhere - go ask the shaman to set a spirit looking for it.

Milk starting to curdle - ask the shaman what you may have done to displease the hearth guardian.

Need help digging a well - ask the shaman to press a gnome into your service for a day.

Can't remember where dear departed dad said he saw that excellent grove of bow wood - ask the shaman to chat with him.

i don't think it warrants a big process. Skills checks etc. Maybe just a roleplaying opportunity and a minor sacrifice or gift. They're also useful for the BIG spiritual issues. Possession, Strong disease spirits, Assistance form powerful elements etc.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

43 minutes ago, Nevun said:

I'm trying to work in ways to include Shamans in the daily lives of more civilised tribes. I'm thinking of running them something similar to the Witches of the Discworld - someone you go to to deal with the little problems that crop up in daily lives.

That works just fine and largely how I've incorporated them in the Imther setting. They can be very useful for any investigations that have spirit-based components.

11 hours ago, Nevun said:

I'm trying to work in ways to include Shamans in the daily lives of more civilised tribes. I'm thinking of running them something similar to the Witches of the Discworld - someone you go to to deal with the little problems that crop up in daily lives. Ones that don't warrant the big hammer of god powers.

Got the sniffles - go to the shaman to get the (very) minor disease spirits moved on.

Lost a family necklace somewhere - go ask the shaman to set a spirit looking for it.

Milk starting to curdle - ask the shaman what you may have done to displease the hearth guardian.

Need help digging a well - ask the shaman to press a gnome into your service for a day.

Can't remember where dear departed dad said he saw that excellent grove of bow wood - ask the shaman to chat with him.

i don't think it warrants a big process. Skills checks etc. Maybe just a roleplaying opportunity and a minor sacrifice or gift. They're also useful for the BIG spiritual issues. Possession, Strong disease spirits, Assistance form powerful elements etc.

That looks like an excellent model set of  events that a GM can present to a shaman for growth opportunity adventures.  Thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

That looks like an excellent model set of  events that a GM can present to a shaman for growth opportunity adventures.  Thanks.

I'd envisage a simple exchange. Go to the shaman and get cured. That's his duty as a member of the clan. He may ask a favour in return which, as a matter of politness, you should agree to. Maybe place a totem in a cave (infested?). Stand guard over his body for a night. Watch his back while he picks some sacred herbs. Etc. lots of RP opportunities there. Nothing major - just little plot hooks and character development. Get to know the shaman's personality and build a relationship.

• Like 1