A Sun Thane of Elmal Heroforge figure

svensson

On 5/3/2023 at 6:58 PM, svensson said:

Enhyli

So what is the who, where, what ,when, how and why about the Enhyli!? They worship Elmal, they claim descent from Kuschile, they hate the Undead and offer many sacrifices to Humakt, etc. I like very much and will have fun with this, especially when a Elmali PC ends up in Sun County in Prax...  Maybe, just maybe there will be some acolytes and one will be named Obsidian?

Horsetown, Swan and Apple Lane as well as Runegate seem to be associated? Did you develop any steads, clans, locations etc?

Thanks for the content Mr. Svensson!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

So what is the who, where, what ,when, how and why about the Enhyli!? 

i assume the Enhyli is the clan jeff is talking about here;

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/the-average-sartarite-clan/

. But we get a handful of clans where there are 200 Yelmalio cultists and almost no Orlanth cultists. Such clans are largely concentrated around the Sun Dome Temple or Alda-Chur, but not all – there is one among the Colymar.

Note that by Yelmalio, he presumably means the Elmal subcult, aka Yelmalio the Sun Thane, that is supposed to be written up in the solar cults book (next year?)[1].

How things work in that clan, with 200 sun thanes and only 30 orlanthi farmers, is interesting. Are they still ritually obliged to have an orlanthi clan chieftan for all the Sun Thanes to be loyal to? Or is it enough for them to be loyal to the Colymar tribe as a whole? Do the clan militia fight alongside the thanes, as Kuschile horse archers, or do they fall back on spear and shield, the same as other clans? If the former, how does the Orlanthi egalitarian ethos adapt when the requirement to own your own weapon and armour to be a fully-adult citizen extends from 'spear and helm' to 'a string of cavalry horses'?

[1] current editorial policy seems to be to never refer to the same god by different names in English text, unless there is actual intended, in-Glorantha uncertainty or disagreement as to whether they are the same god[2]

[2] as in Arkat/Nysalor/Gbaji.

Edited by radmonger

10 hours ago, radmonger said:

How things work in that clan, with 200 sun thanes and only 30 orlanthi farmers, is interesting.

It would need to be 200 farmers and 30 thanes? (from the Well: The average Sartarite clan claims about 55 square kilometers of territory.)

Assuming at most 1/4 of the average clan area is arable in Sartar or even higher in the Heortland. A skilled cradler could harvest 1 ½ -2 acres a day of wheat. A clan's arable area would be about 3400 acres. If it were all wheat and 100 farmers did nothing but cut it'd be 17 days to cut the wheat. The others would gather and thrash, etc. I assume they'd bring in the crops in late Fire Season? 10 farmers would have one hell of a time bringing in the wheat? If 5 were cutting it'd be 340 days to get it done...

I assume Sun Thanes are 90% farmer and 10% thane? Maybe that's a misprint...

image.png.c9f63ce0db8d3295816d84fc1c3a7818.png

With a cooperative effort 10 farmers with three X9 1100's could harvest up to 90 acres an hour in wheat. (I sat in one of these bad boys a few months back at the Deere HQ, truly massive and tracked even.) With these big bad babies the God Learner Orlanthi farmers would done harvesting in just under 5 days. I bet the dwarves could get them built in a few months without supply chain issues? They could then spend more time with the dwarves making Blue Moon beer... There was a new beer at Geo's near the Marsh called Floyds Zombie Dust but its not certain if it really has ashes in it or not? (Thanes do drink beer I assume?)

image.png.abbd85b9c6b2dd866ea47744574b4aec.png

59 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I assume Sun Thanes are 90% farmer and 10% thane? Maybe that's a misprint...

i was using 'sun thane' to denote religion (yelmalio aka elmal), not role. 40 non-farming 'clan aristocracy', of whom ~20 are full-time patrollers and guards, makes complete sense.

• Helpful 1