I just bought Guide to Glorantha and King of Sartar!

Hellfire6a

Deep! I am a history major from way back. I even got my MA. I even have a copy of the Golden Bough that I have drooled over for over 40 years. I played Runequest back in 80s. My favorite character of all times was a Dragonnewt called Wyvern the Wimp. The group broke up because of some weird player dynamics. (One of the players eventually became a serial killer...no joke). All that to say back then I was a Player and not a Game Master. Now I get to look at these lovely books and see just how much love this community has lavished on Glorantha and I am just absolutely blown away. The depth and breadth of the work is quite amazing. I am really looking forward to diving into this world with all of you! 

I some recent posts I have been asking questions about Harrek, Kallyr, and Gunda. I finally got my copy of King of Sartar. Now I understand how the "history" of the Hero Wars are so fractured. It's brilliant and just like reading myths and legends from our own world. Myths that have the same characters and completely different endings but proport to be the same story. I am so glad I landed here after so many years. I admit to being a bit frustrated at first because I was expecting something monolithic, but what I got was something that really mirrors our own crazy quilt of myths and legends. I can't wait to do a really deep dive.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I suffered from extreme Rune Quest Rejuvenation during Covid.

I am utterly addicted again. Chatting and getting input by those who auothered the supplements we gamed with in the 80's really puts a smile on my face. As long as you go with YGWV as a rule there is no limit to the fun you will have.

Having been out of the game for a while I find the following very helpful:

https://glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

It's a great search tool as is:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/

I haven't really gotten into the best way to search this source well yet but it has even older info that generates huge numbers of rabbit holes:

https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/GloranthaDigest/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hellfire6a said:

Now I get to look at these lovely books and see just how much love this community has lavished on Glorantha and I am just absolutely blown away. The depth and breadth of the work is quite amazing. I am really looking forward to diving into this world with all of you! 

There's a lot out there to dive into and explore! And more coming, particularly the start of the 10 volume Cults of Glorantha series.

2 hours ago, Hellfire6a said:

I finally got my copy of King of Sartar. Now I understand how the "history" of the Hero Wars are so fractured. It's brilliant and just like reading myths and legends from our own world. Myths that have the same characters and completely different endings but proport to be the same story. I am so glad I landed here after so many years. I admit to being a bit frustrated at first because I was expecting something monolithic, but what I got was something that really mirrors our own crazy quilt of myths and legends.

No, generally not monolithic! And open to many, many interpretations. But keep asking questions - there's a few hot-button topics that have been beaten to death multiple times, but overall lots to explore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1