Traveling times between cities as a table

hkokko

Starting to look at traveling cross longer distances. Has someone done already a travel time matrix or database for travel time between various cities and towns etc - something similar that some modern travel books have. I am of course mostly interested in Pamaltela especially Fonrit, Umathela, Jolar, Maslo, Errinoru

for example Hombori Tondo to Garguna x days and so on

2 minutes ago, hkokko said:

Starting to look at traveling cross longer distances. Has someone done already a travel time matrix or database for travel time between various cities and towns etc - something similar that some modern travel books have. I am of course mostly interested in Pamaltela especially Fonrit, Umathela, Jolar, Maslo, Errinoru

for example Hombori Tondo to Garguna x days and so on

There is such a travel time item in theme Jonstown Compendium for Sartar.  But it is not one big matrix.

Since you want one for Pamaltela, would you be interested in creating one?

19 hours ago, hkokko said:

I may have to but I was wondering if someone has done the work already. or even hex location table of named places in GtG

Well hex locations would mostly be from the Argan Argar Atlas.  But your basic problem is that you are pioneering in Pamaltela while most of us are resting on the greater base of background material in Sartar.  Since you are fleshing out Pamaltela why not write some of it up?  

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:31 AM, hkokko said:

Has someone done already a travel time matrix or database for travel time between various cities and towns etc - something similar that some modern travel books have. I am of course mostly interested in Pamaltela especially Fonrit, Umathela, Jolar, Maslo, Errinoru

The only one that I know is Highways & Byways on the Jonstown Compendium, which is focused exclusively on Dragon Pass. It doesn't have a big travel time matrix for the entirely of Dragon Pass because that would be unreadable, given that it gives travel information for all villages and towns that are named in published material. So the matrices as only per region within Dragon Pass.

For Pamaltela, you'll have to use the (free) Argan Argar Atlas, or the Guide to Glorantha (same maps) and count the hexes.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

The complicating factor is that distance is not the same as time.  Whether you walk or ride matters, and just as important is the quality of the road or no road at all.  There is advice on that in Guide to Glorantha as wel as the RQiG rules.  Then there is travel by water, addressed briefly in W&E.

• Helpful 1

There are also literal and figurative magic roads between many places, some of which serve to shorten travel times pretty significantly. In a highly urbanized society like Fonrit, as awful a place as it is, there are likely to be those sorts of networks that were established to deal with effects of the closing, when the much more efficient overseas trade and travel became impossible.

This post deals with travel between Lowland Peloria, Dragon Pass, and Kethaela, but it probably wouldn’t be too hard to extrapolate for elsewhere with the Argan Argar Atlas’s hex map. As for ocean travel, this post has some useful guidelines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2