Sources on Jotimam ?

Agentorange

Jotimam gets a brief mention over at the Well of Daliath as being a chaos deity. I've run a search here and there are only 3 mentions in passing.......

Who or what was Jotimam and what were it's features or characteristics ?

Edited by Agentorange

11 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

Jotimam gets a brief mention over at the Well of Daliath as being a choas deity. I've run a search here and there are only 3 mentions in passing.......

Predecessor Chaos God. Mentioned in the Guide p555 (A Fonritan Prophecy) and elsewhere.  Seems to be a Fonritan God since the only in-gloranthan reference we have (other than God Learner) is Fonritan.

1 hour ago, Agentorange said:

According to the Prosopaedia, Jotimam was the name for the void left by the explosion of the Spike. Hence the short description as "the Empty Center" at https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/prosopaedia/deities/j/jotimam/.

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

55 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

Mmmm.....very enigmatic

It's a concept in a number of real-world mythologies like Ginnungagap. You may also find this helpful: https://essexmyth.wordpress.com/2017/09/28/the-void/ 

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

[Insert obligatory non-canon warning here.]

Look inside. What do you find? The self? No, you find nothing — that is Jotimam, the Void.

If you react to this realization with fear and revulsion, you breed monsters — like Wakboth.°

From nothing we came and to nothing we return — that which returns us to the Void, we call Kajabor.

And possibly Krarsht is the Void regarded as monstrous, depending on how you feel about the Cosmic Egg/Orxili. I guess that from the draconic point of view, it was unacceptable for there to be nothing rather than something (entanglement with the world to be, duty, blah blah blah), so the Grand Ancestral Dragon “hatches” from nothing. (I lose track of all the dragons, but I am sure we don’t need more than one.)

[And if I have equated the personal and the cosmological, that is all part of the fun in an Id Monster-ridden game world, right?]

——————————————————————————————————————

° The spanner in the works may be that the world was broken by envy and megalomania (Orlanth’s), and the Devil — who was only the icing on a poisoned cake, the insult and not the injury — was created in reaction to injustice (against Thed). That is, the world was doomed and the doom given its grisly decoration by very wordly things — all-too-human failings of the gods (i.e. us) — not by some crisis set off by contemplation of the Void. Or if you like, kings and rapists broke the world (that one, anyway), not dangerous philosophers or frightened mystics.

The old Nietzsche saw about fighting monsters and becoming a monster and staring into the void and having the void stare back shouldn’t lead us to “Aha! Monster = Void.” In my humble opinion, but I may be a monster … or a void and was utterly unimpressed by the death of God.

Edited by mfbrandi
word order
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST