Generic Savage Worlds Conversion / CORTEX

pansophy

EDIT: Updated and calculated Percentage values at the end of the Thread.

I know there are some people around here wanting to convert SW to BRP.

Last weekend I had the problem to run a wonderful SW adventure, but with my BRP group - so I came up with the following quick rules:

d4 = 25%

d6 = 50%

d8 = 63%

d10 = 70%

d12 = 75%

+1 = 83%

+2 = 92%

+3 = 100%

unskilled = 16 to 18%

It worked amazingly well while not overpowering the NPCs.

The rest ... I fudged. Every +1 to skills or rolls simply added 10 or 15%, other Edges and Hinderances I simply used as they were written (adding the 10-15%, or subtracting them).

Together with my minion rules (can be found in the Downloads section) the adventure was smooth, fun and wild.

Never thought it would be that simple. First I had my objections, since Wildcards in SW do roll an extra d6, but then I simply thought "in SW players are heros, BRP is more down to the earth".

Maybe some people find these hints useful ...

Ah! and it also works for the Cortex rules (Serenity, Battlestar Galactica, etc)

Edited by pansophy
  • Like 1

This is pretty close to what I used for a SW conversion earlier this year. Heaps of good SW supplements can be quickly converted to BRP with a simple table like this. I actually lost my originial handwritten doc I used for the conversion, so thanks for posting - this looks pretty close to how I did it, I think I'll save your rules for my next SW conversion.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

but then I simply thought "in SW players are heros, BRP is more down to the earth".

Amen. The stats you provided really show the difference between SW and BRP. For example, you put 25% as the equivalent to d4. This is correct for NPCs. However, with the wild die, the chance of success for a PC with d4 against a typical target number 4 is really 62%. This just goes to show that SW is a much more forgiving system in which success is more likely.

• 1 month later...

here the updated Skill Percentages based on the correct formula. First column is for "Extras", last column for "Wild Cards":

Normal Success TN4

d12 75% 88%

d10 70% 85%

d8 63% 81%

d6 50% 75%

d4 25% 63%

d4-2 13% 18%

Special Success TN8

d12 42% 50%

d10 30% 40%

d8 13% 25%

d6 14% 25%

d4 06% 17%

Looking at these tables I would suggest to be very careful when converting characters. =O Maybe the "Normal Success" table is for profession skills and the "Special Success" table used for Hobby Skills.

Edited by pansophy

here the updated Skill Percentages based on the correct formula. First column is for "Extras", last column for "Wild Cards":

Normal Success TN4

d12 75% 88%

d10 70% 85%

d8 63% 81%

d6 50% 75%

d4 25% 63%

d4-2 13% 18%

Special Success TN8

d12 42% 50%

d10 30% 40%

d8 13% 25%

d6 14% 25%

d4 06% 17%

Looking at these tables I would suggest to be very careful when converting characters. =O Maybe the "Normal Success" table is for profession skills and the "Special Success" table used for Hobby Skills.

Thanks for these, I have converted a campaign from SW to BRP and it's useful to see the translation of the number crunch like this.

• 4 years later...

My game world is Nehwon (home of Lankhmar, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser). Over the years, the game licences for that world have moved from TSR (D&D) to Mongoose (MRQ/MRQ2) and now to Pinnacle (Savage Worlds). I like collecting the material anyway, so this conversion guide will be very helpful, thanks.