Gifts and gifts-giving in Peloria and Dragón Pass

kalidor

Hi,

I have a question for those who are more learned in those cultures. How does gifts giving work?

I mean, supose a character present himself before Ironhoof and as a token of respect he gifts him a golden torc valued 800L. How does It work? Does Ironhoof say "thanks, state your business to be here"? Does he give something in return? And if so, less, more or equal?.

what about an orlanthi chief? A lunar chief in Provinces? A pelorian noble?

thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kalidor said:

I have a question for those who are more learned in those cultures. How does gifts giving work?

I mean, supose a character present himself before Ironhoof and as a token of respect he gifts him a golden torc valued 800L. How does It work? Does Ironhoof say "thanks, state your business to be here"? Does he give something in return? And if so, less, more or equal?

Gift exchange is most common between great nobles and high priests, with greeting gifts often conveyed by merchants to garner goodwill and support between rulers. Merchants may also give such princely gifts to obtain permission to trade within their jurisdiction. The main purpose of gift exchange is social gain, to create stable social relationships and recognition. It isn't a form of barter, and unless the recipient and the giver are equals, there won't be a reciprocation of gifts of equal worth, but the giver gains the benefit of being noted, and potentially a supplicant, who may be deserving of favor. However, giving an inappropriate gift or one unworthy of the recipient and you may gain their disfavor.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kalidor said:

Gift giving is covered in the Treasure box on page 7 of Weapons and equipment. There is also an example of Gift giving in the Exchanging Masterwork Items, on page 9.

In your Ironhoof example, it depends on who the adventurer is, if they are a Grazelander, Ironhoof expects gifts and that's it. If the adventurer is acting as an emissary to ally Ironhoof and his half beasts (per the Dragon Pass board game), they would need a reputation roll (who are you?) and if they succeed, they can gain +1% reputation / 50L of the gift. 

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

18 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Gift giving is covered in the Treasure box on page 7 of Weapons and equipment. There is also an example of Gift giving in the Exchanging Masterwork Items, on page 9.

In your Ironhoof example, it depends on who the adventurer is, if they are a Grazelander, Ironhoof expects gifts and that's it. If the adventurer is acting as an emissary to ally Ironhoof and his half beasts (per the Dragon Pass board game), they would need a reputation roll (who are you?) and if they succeed, they can gain +1% reputation / 50L of the gift. 

Thanks David. So different cultures same mechanic then?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Sort of, you need to read the box.

I did It, but does not explain what happen when you are an outsider. I mean, you enter in ernaldoli clan lands, and pay respect to the chief, lets say a dagger worth 80 L as a gifts and a jewel 60 L to the earth pristess. Is this reciprocate?. I am asking about how orlanthi society and others works with strangers.

Thanks for your patience.

it would make sense to me if the scale of gift giving that was expected, was in proportion to the rank and prosperity of both the giver and receiver. 

In other words, a king would expect more impressive gifts than a clan chief would.  A high priest of Orlanth would expect more than your village god-talker of Barntar,  And a peasant, even a prosperous carl, would not be expected to give the same scale of gift as a very rich and well known merchant or noble.

The W&E entries do not indicate these things, and the answers should vary as your Glorantha does,  but I would expect that a customs roll would produce useful information from the gamemaster.