Healing trance use-case ...?

glarkhag

Summon Healing spirit is great for the cost, though a bit less controlled when it comes to the quality. In a hospital setting, it can perform several jobs, without needing the control spell as long as you summon it in the right place. Might even work better than cure all diseases if you want to help the greatest number of people.

I feel the same is the case for heal body/regrow limb. Chalana Arroy might focus more on saving lives than making sure everybody has all limbs. You can live a good (and peaceful) life with one leg or one arm. It feels almost frivolous to prioritize regrowing a limb when there might be other people there who need life-saving intervention. Unless there is a massive donation, of course. Which could do so much good...

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

26 minutes ago, Malin said:

I feel the same is the case for heal body/regrow limb. Chalana Arroy might focus more on saving lives than making sure everybody has all limbs. You can live a good (and peaceful) life with one leg or one arm. It feels almost frivolous to prioritize regrowing a limb when there might be other people there who need life-saving intervention. Unless there is a massive donation, of course. Which could do so much good...

True, but then any odd steadwife might have a Heal Body and be ready to do a casting for cheap (even just one cow feels like it would be a lot). It's really hard to explain why anyone in (Orlanthi, at least) Glorantha should ever be missing a limb when most any peasant woman could instantly regrow limbs on a weekly basis.

So it actually makes sense that CA healers would focus on the really difficult and immediately life-saving stuff, but Ernaldans can have a really amazing healing output with their insane Rune Point regain. Diseases and possibly some difficult Chaos Wounds is within CA expertise, though (as is actual death, as no-one else offers anything like their resurrection).

Edited by Akhôrahil

6 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

any peasant woman could instantly regrow limbs on a weekly basis.

I think it's a case of game rules/world rules unintended consequences, but I also wonder how many rune points are tied up in sustained spells for the average Ernalda worshipper. A few points stacked in blessed crops (which is not instant in RBoM) will mean 20% more harvest. On a family farm, I suspect at least one or two women would keep that running for the whole family (1 hide per RP). Bless pregnancy has already been discussed elsewhere (2 points), and there might be others I don't remember right now. I feel that for the average farmer, other spells are more important to invest in, since most people don't have the kind of massive wounds/accidents that would need heal body. It might be worth leaving those to the village healer (who might be another Ernaldan) who can deal with the bad cases. Heal Wound is usually enough to keep people alive.

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

2 minutes ago, Malin said:

I also wonder how many rune points are tied up in sustained spells for the average Ernalda worshipper. A few points stacked in blessed crops (which is not instant in RBoM) will mean 20% more harvest.

Smart farmers cast this in Earth Season to avoid tying the Rune Points up longer than they have to. But yes.

3 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Smart farmers cast this in Earth Season to avoid tying the Rune Points up longer than they have to. But yes.

While technically, the rules don't say when you cast it (so you can do it the day before the sacred time roll if you're a munchkin) I personally would say that it's done in the sea season. In Sun County, it's mentioned that's when they do it. But as you say, it's not defined in the rules.

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

Just now, Malin said:

While technically, the rules don't say when you cast it (so you can do it the day before the sacred time roll if you're a munchkin) I personally would say that it's done in the sea season. In Sun County, it's mentioned that's when they do it. But as you say, it's not defined in the rules.

I agree that technically you could use it in Storm Season the day before Sacred Time, long after you actually harvested, but maybe there are limits to how munchkinnny Gloranthans dare to be. 🙂

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2023 at 9:00 AM, Akhôrahil said:

... but maybe there are limits to how munchkinnny Gloranthans dare to be. 🙂

Well, we do know what happened to the God Learners, after all.

The entire universe changed its rules in a massive "F--- you, munchkins!"

Edited by g33k
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig