Brithini language examples

Zac

None that I know of. There are a few categories of creatures - Erasanchula, Srvuali (or however that is spelled now), Maseren, Paseren, there are the names of Malkion in the Actions, and of the Invisible God, there are place names (usually name + wal for a Brithini/Malkioni founded place, name+ket for an Earth cult or Pendali-founded place, there is Damolsten for an alternative place name), and there are names of a range of Malkioni and Brithini.

Greg's naming has always been onomapoetic rather than linguistically systematic.

The Seshnelan King List is full of names.

• Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

As Joerganos points out, most of the original language now exists only in translation or in isolated proper nouns (names of places, persons and peoples). One of the few exceptions  is ironically "engrion," formerly translated colloquially as "knight" and now as the more technical "person of all." This then retroactively suggests that "engr" (an epithet of MLKYNr) is really their word for the collective, the all, the holistic . . . "society" or wyter.

The word "wyter" itself may originate in their language despite what would to us look like an old germanic cluster of semivowels and consonants. They seemed to have zero discomfort about cramming too many hard sounds together to create blends difficult for modern English speakers to master. In this scenario, the word might have once been pronounced something like "HOO-eyeter" but this would have been before they had writing . . . almost impossibly archaic.

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

1 hour ago, scott-martin said:

The word “wyter” itself may … look like an old germanic cluster of semivowels and consonants.

Or the modern German “weiter” (adverb, adjective) with its connotations of further, other, and beyondmight do for a spirit entity. If “Nach dem Tod gibt es noch weiter?” means what Google thinks it does, I guess your average Brithini is determined not to find out. (I never could get the hang of German, which is probably why my English is so bad.)

1 hour ago, scott-martin said:

One of the few exceptions is ironically “engrion,” formerly translated colloquially as “knight” and now as the more technical “person of all.”

Given the West’s supposed failings of empiricism and materialism, it is a shame that this stubbornly refuses to resolve to “engineer.” (The best I can manage is “enginor” — and that really won’t do.) And of course, the category includes the writers and teachers — the engineers of human souls.°

——————————————————————
° To me from a bunch of scary people via Škvorecký.

• Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

3 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Given the West’s supposed failings of empiricism and materialism, it is a shame that this stubbornly refuses to resolve to “engineer.” (The best I can manage is “enginor” — and that really won’t do.)

But it might resolve to "engrain" which would suggest the consistent incorporation of customs, caste, and Rightness in the all.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1