Land of Samurai -- Reborn as a Wayfarer or stuck in some Buddhist pergatory?

On the BRP Ancient Greece thread, hanszurcher posted this quote from the State of the Mongoose 2010 (from back in December):

"We are also expanding the ‘historical’ range of RuneQuest books, starting with an updated Land of the Samurai, combined with the Price of Honour campaign, giving you everything you need to start playing in mythical Japan. Pete also has a hankering to cover mythical Greece and after his sterling work on Vikings, how could we say no?"

We now know after the recent shake up that Pete will be doing Ancient Greece at some point without Mongoose. Does anyone know of plans for Land of Samurai/Price of Honour?

I would have liked to see a book really doing Heian Japan rather than a sort of Heian meets Sengoku. But we take what we can get.

Of course, if I could spell "purgatory," I might be dangerous. Oh, well. Why conceal one's foolishness?

Edited by Smoking Frog
Too dumb to live.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

From Planet Mongoose about their plans for Wayfarer:

However, we will also be bringing brand new material into play relatively quickly.

We are currently looking at a one-shot Hyborian-esque grand adventure, new

material for Deus Vult and some bits and pieces for Elric - we will be adding to

this list over the next few months, and we have a strong interest in working with

more historical settings, be they extensions to Vikings or brand new areas (and

Land of the Samurai could certainly make a return in one form or another).

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

From Planet Mongoose about their plans for Wayfarer:

That was quick. Thanks!

The vague assurance that something might happen suggests that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting. I'm sure I can finish my own setting before they redo LoS.

The vague assurance that something might happen suggests that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting. I'm sure I can finish my own setting before they redo LoS.

Unfortunaly, I'm afraid you're right. It sounded like "maybe we'll do it, maybe not".

Grając zaś w grę komputerową, być może zdarzyło się wam zapragnąć zejść z wyznaczonej przez autorów ścieżki i, miast zabić smoka i ożenić się z księżniczką, zabić księżniczkę i ożenić się ze smokiem.

Guest Vile Traveller

I wouldn't expect anything new for Wayfarer until (and if) Mongoose have re-published all the MRQ2 stuff. Then, if the thing is a success - maybe. Although frankly I doubt the viability of another D100 system.

Did you like Sengoku (even though it was BRP-less)?

I love all the accurate detail from Sengoku, and my goal is to do a Heian-era setting with that sort of historical detail. If I was going for a Sengoku-era setting, it would be easy just to convert the game mechanics of Sengoku. (I suppose at some point, I will do that.) My disappointment with Land of Samurai is that it is nominally set in the Heian-era, but it is more of a Sengoku-era setting, with ninja, daimyo, ronin, iaijutsu, and tea ceremony, among other things. And they left out the onmyoji! If you have a Heian-era fantasy game, I don't see how you could leave out the Imperial Court's own masters of ying-yang magic. Abe no Seimei must be spinning in his grave.

It may be that if you're going for maximum sales, anything set in Japan has to have at least a few ninja sneaking around and at least one iaijutsu duel, whether it belongs there or not.

My disappointment with Land of Samurai is that it is nominally set in the Heian-era, but it is more of a Sengoku-era setting, with ninja, daimyo, ronin, iaijutsu, and tea ceremony, among other things. And they left out the onmyoji!

I agree 100%. You could use the CoC supplement "Secrets of Japan". Although it is set in the 21st century, it does feature the onmyoji + a lot of other cool stuff. And it is culturally & historically correct (if you remove the mythos stuff, that is)

I agree 100%. You could use the CoC supplement "Secrets of Japan". Although it is set in the 21st century, it does feature the onmyoji + a lot of other cool stuff. And it is culturally & historically correct (if you remove the mythos stuff, that is)

Nice suggestion! I've had "Secrets of Japan" on my "maybe" list for a while, but this is a good reason to move it up in the queue. As I said on another thread, "so many settings, so little time."