QuestWorlds ORC License Statement

Robin "RoM" Mitra

If I want to publish a work based on the Questworlds SRD do I only have to give the follwing statement?

"QuestWorlds © copyright 2019–2023 Moon Design Publications LLC [including logo 1 or 2]"

The rest of the 0.1.2 QuestWorlds ORC License Statement is not to be reproduced in the fan work, because it applies only to the QuestWorlds SRD itself. Is that correct?

Edited by Robin "RoM" Mitra

You don't need to reproduce the entire ORC license, but you do need a bit more than you have there. ORC compliance requires a few things, of which crediting your upstream licensors is only one. ORC License section III details the things you need to include:

• ORC Notice
  • Attribution
  • Reserved Material
  • Expressly Designated Licensed Material (if you are licensing on anything that would normally be reserved)

ORC License section III.e has a sample/template for you to use in making your own notice. You're not required to use that exact format, but those are the points you need to get across to recipients.

Ok, so if I verbatim copy the whole paragraph of 0.1.2 QuestWorlds ORC License Statement from the QW SRD that would do it? Or would that be too much? I guess I am confused what/who "this product", "our" and "you" refers to.

--------------------------------

This product is licensed under the ORC License held in the Library of Congress at TX 9-307-067 and available online at various locations including www.chaosium.com/orclicense, www.azoralaw.com/orclicense, www.gencon.com/orclicense and others. All warranties are disclaimed as set forth therein.

This product is the original work of Moon Design Publications.

If you use our ORC Content, please also credit us as follows:

QuestWorlds © copyright 2019–2023 Moon Design Publications LLC

Along with our logo

[logo 1 and 2]

Reserved Material elements in this product include but may not be limited to all artwork, illustrations, and graphic design, and trade dress, and all trademarks, including Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium, Future-World, Magic World, Pendragon, RuneQuest, Superworld, and Worlds of Wonder, and all other elements designated as Reserved Material under the ORC license.

QuestWorlds SRD with annotations for individual contributions can be found at GitHub: https://github.com/ChaosiumInc/QuestWorlds/

Edited by Robin "RoM" Mitra

23 hours ago, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

Ok, so if I verbatim copy the whole paragraph of 0.1.2 QuestWorlds ORC License Statement from the QW SRD that would do it? Or would that be too much? I guess I am confused what/who "this product", "our" and "you" refers to.

This product is licensed under the ORC License held in the Library of Congress at TX 9-307-067 and available online at various locations including www.chaosium.com/orclicense, www.azoralaw.com/orclicense, www.gencon.com/orclicense and others. All warranties are disclaimed as set forth therein.

Along with our logo

[logo 1 and 2]

Reserved Material elements in this product include but may not be limited to all artwork, illustrations, and graphic design, and trade dress, and all trademarks, including Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium, Future-World, Magic World, Pendragon, RuneQuest, Superworld, and Worlds of Wonder, and all other elements designated as Reserved Material under the ORC license.

QuestWorlds SRD with annotations for individual contributions can be found at GitHub: https://github.com/ChaosiumInc/QuestWorlds/

You wouldn't want to copy & paste Chaosium's notice, as it's written from their perspective (our/us) in places. The last line should also perhaps go better up in the attribution section, but that doesn't invalidate it. They also muddied the waters a bit with those reservations of other game names, as last I checked there weren't any references to most of them in the SRD (there's no need/point to reserve something that was never presented in the first place), though that doesn't actually hurt anything in terms of actual usage either. 

What you would need to do is write or work with an attorney to write a notice that is orientated towards you and your work. You identify your own ownership, and how you would like to be attributed by anyone incorporating your rules. Acknowledge Chaosium and any other upstream licensors in the fashion they recommend in their own ORC notices. Enumerate any non-rules things you are either calling out as reserved or deliberately licensing on for others to use. And so on. 

This is of course just my understanding as a non-lawyer who happens to have been involved in small ways with both the QWSRD and ORC License development and formerly dealt with licensing compliance for a broadcaster. Sharing this perspective is not legal advice though. If the license and AXE aren't clear to you, consulting an attorney is a wise course of action. Perhaps even contact Azora Law. They wrote it, after all.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

Along with our logo

[logo 1 and 2]

You don't need most of this, as this is about protecting our content as @JonL points out.

What you should do:

* Understand the ORC license which is viral. If you publish under our ORC license any rules material you publish falls under ORC too.

* Protect your reserved content with a Reserved Material statement.

So you will need:

"This product is licensed under the ORC License held in the Library of Congress at TX 9-307-067 and available online at various locations including www.chaosium.com/orclicense, www.azoralaw.com/orclicense, www.gencon.com/orclicense and others. All warranties are disclaimed as set forth therein. "

and as described above you need:

"QuestWorlds © copyright 2019–2023 Moon Design Publications LLC

Along with our logo

[logo 1 and 2]"

and then your own Reserved Material statement.

@JonL is right that we don't really need the Reserved Material statement in the SRD as there is none, it's an artifact of us writing the book at the same time that we can relax at some point.

Edited by Ian Cooper
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

Ok, thanks.

And how do I distinguish whether my publication is also available under the ORC licence or whether the entire publication (except the SRD parts) is protected by copyright?

You need to add any copyright information for your text, but your rules contents is automatically covered by ORC which is viral. You may choose to highlight your Reserved Content so folks can be clear what is not rules content.

Many thanks again to all of you. Being a dumb German, I really had problems understanding these American legal texts. But I think I got it now. Cheers.

Btw, the link www.gencon.com/orclicense is dead and I couldn't find it anywhere else on their website, so I'll just skip it and leave only Chaosium and Azora.

42 minutes ago, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

... Being a dumb German, I really had problems understanding these American legal texts ...

Note that most Americans have problems understanding American legal texts.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig