Longer adventure for the Uther Period -- suggestions?

Running a game using GPC starting the the Uther Period. Two years in, we are now in 487 AD. 

I am looking for a longer adventure that would fit the ambiance of the Uther Period. Something meaty with a plot, instead of just the brief activities of the early years of the GPC. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a bunch of the published books, and everything I have looked at seems to be predicated on King Arthur, or Romance, or tournaments, or the search for the Holy Grail. Those are not relevant yet in this era.

Does not have to be linked to Uther at all. Also, does not have to even be for Pendragon originally, I am happy to convert and I do not worry about NPC/monster stats too much.

Thank you for any ideas you may have!

• Like 1

Previous editions were mostly set in 510-531, which is why there is so little for Uther, which became the new start time only with 5th edition.

White Horse is easy to transport to Uther. Indeed, I like to rerun it every 21 years or so. 

Horned Boar is another one that would be easy enough to run, with some minimal tweaking of armor, horses and some background info.

Dragon's Hoard (Dragons of Britain #4) can be tweaked to Uther.

Nothing prevents you from running the Whispering Path from GPC early.

Those would be four that easily came to mind.

Oh, The Deceitful Fae is easy to run in Summerland adjacent counties even im Uther Period.

Red Blade needs very minimal tweaking to work in Uther Period, too.

Edited by Morien

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much Morien for the advice, I greatly appreciate it, even if it took me some time to get back to the forum! 

White Horse is from 3e/4e, so unfortunately I think I do not have access to it. But I found Horned Boar in Spectre King and Deceitful Faerie in Magic & Miracles, plus Dragons of Britain issues #1-4 were free on DriveThruRPG, so I am well set now! And I had Red Blade all along, of course, just had not read it because it starts out by warning it is best for the Romance or Tournament periods. Also had not read ahead to the Whispering Path in GPC before, but now I know it as well. It is a bit short for my needs, though.

It is great to get tips from someone with encyclopedic knowledge of all things Pendragon, I have read many of your other posts as well -- including two from 2019 that I did not see at first, but where you answered similar questions to mine here. 

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Machete_Matt said:

Thank you very much Morien for the advice, I greatly appreciate it, even if it took me some time to get back to the forum! 

Happy to help! 🙂

White Horse is from 3e/4e, so unfortunately I think I do not have access to it. But I found Horned Boar in Spectre King and Deceitful Faerie in Magic & Miracles, plus Dragons of Britain issues #1-4 were free on DriveThruRPG, so I am well set now! And I had Red Blade all along, of course, just had not read it because it starts out by warning it is best for the Romance or Tournament periods. Also had not read ahead to the Whispering Path in GPC before, but now I know it as well. It is a bit short for my needs, though.

It is pretty easy to expand the Whispering Path a bit. I disliked the grave-robbing aspect of it, and instead made it into the reason for the haunting: the previous lord of Grantham had, at his chaplain's urging, robbed the graves of their grave goods. As the result, the ghosts and their dogs had come for him, slaughtering everyone in the manor house, which was then left alone with the treasure inside it. The dogs continued haunting the village, killing people who were caught outside after dark, and all that sort of stuff. It added a nice 'mystery' aspect to it, and kept the ~£100 worth of treasure away from the PKs, too, unless they wished to take a chance with the ghosts.

I agree the Red Blade is best once Chivalry is a thing, but it is not strictly speaking needed, IMHO. The Red Blade has been around since before the Uther Period, after all. So the setup works well enough even earlier.

It is great to get tips from someone with encyclopedic knowledge of all things Pendragon, I have read many of your other posts as well -- including two from 2019 that I did not see at first, but where you answered similar questions to mine here.

Nice to see someone availing themselves to the archives! 🙂

Edited by Morien