Any 'nice' looking character sheets for Classic Fantasy RPG?

MrHemlocks

You might get more of a reply if you join the Classic Fantasy Yahoo group, or does that stink too?:P

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=18

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I like Rod's character sheet. It really crams a lot of information in there.

Anyway, I'm playing around with a sheet right now, MrHemlocks. My version will be a lot lighter, because that's how I make character sheets. Is there something specific you are looking for?

70/420

Puttering around waiting for our approaching hurricane. Figured I might as well finish this.

th_CharacterSheet-ClassicFantasyfrontrev.jpg

th_CharacterSheet-ClassicFantasybackrev.jpg

I dig them. They're basically just the current character sheets reskined. Next time I read through Classic Fantasy, I'll make some mental notes on what should go in a sheet.

70/420

Puttering around waiting for our approaching hurricane. Figured I might as well finish this.

th_CharacterSheet-ClassicFantasyfrontrev.jpg

th_CharacterSheet-ClassicFantasybackrev.jpg

I dig them. They're basically just the current character sheets reskined. Next time I read through Classic Fantasy, I'll make some mental notes on what should go in a sheet.

I will be printing these out and using them for my games...untill I find something else that tickles my eye:D

I have a question for you Chaot: What software do you use and how can you make such beardy looking character sheets?!

I love the one you made, so I'm asking since I'm trying to make my own… still failing miserably... but perhaps you can point me in a direction? pretty please O:)

"What about the future...? We only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergrytes Creative Cubicle

Thanks Jegergryte.

What program are you using right now?

I started with photoshop, but while it's great with images wrangling a lot of text is a major pain in the ass. Currently I'm using Pages, which is part of the mac word processing suite. Pages is very similar to MS Publisher though, so if you're on a PC it's the closest thing to it. Actually, there are some things that Publisher does that I like better than Pages, but I tend to use Page because it seems to result in a somewhat sharper image.

Key to either program is the use of text boxes. They allow you a great amount of control over how your text is displayed on the page. I cribbed a good deal of the typing, formating and design from the Champion of Order character sheet that I uploaded to this site earlier.

So, first I did a search for parchment and I grabbed the background. It's just a jpg that was available on some website. Then I adapted what text I had from the old character sheet.

I took a screen shot of what the file looks like with the text boxes showing, to give you a bit of an idea of the structure

th_Screenshot2011-08-29at63702PM.png

Then I dropped in a bicture of the BRP vitruvian man and masked the image to show just what was needed for the hit locations area and dropped some text in front of it. I used a picture box graphic that is built in to Pages for the portrait section. All done.

70/420

I've tried GIMP and other stuff, didn't go so well no… I'm a mac man these days, so pages sounds like the best bet. Although I remember MS Publisher from secondary school, was big fun.

Thanks for the tip and the picture with lines and boxes, it gives me a good idea of how to make my own. Thank you!

Now I can make my own setting-specific character sheet... AT LAST! :)

"What about the future...? We only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Excellent. I think you'll like pages. A couple of things.

Pages automatically incorporates a header, body and footer when you generate a new sheet. You can see the header and part of the body in the example picture I posted. They are outlined in black.

These have what I'm sure is a supposed to be a useful effect, in that when you are working with text boxes and you drop the box into the field in a certain way it will format the box as part of the field. This limits hat you can do with the text box and is extremely annoying. I haven't dug deep enough to figure out how to turn that aspect off. I've just been working around it.

Another thing. You'll probably want to layer your text boxes for effect by letting them sit on top of each other. You order your text boxes by sending them backwards and forwards in on the page. This lets you leave the background boxes alone while letting you manipulate the boxes that you want to work with. When you create a new text box though, you want to make sure that you remove some of the auto formating. When a text box is lays on top of another text box, it shifts the text inside around a bit to make room. You can turn this off for each text box in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

You can do some basic photo manipulation by using masks in Pages. Take a look at them. They're pretty self explanatory.

It's a fun program. I hope it works out for you!

70/420

Still only a sketch going on, but its works like a dream.

Thanks for heads up, but I haven't noticed those things you mentioned. As of now I'm wonderig what font size I should use… the rest has been more or less solved, if not executed.

Thanks man.

OH! I'm having fun! :)

I have to shuffle and reshuffle the first page to get everything in properly, but it seems to go slowly in the right direction. I will post here once its done. A fair warning though, I have ripped the parchment idea from you, I really liked it ;) found a fun papyrus font too (which means I'm mainly using 9 and 10 in size, which seems to read well – going to test-print the current version today), so this seems to be going the right direction.

Its not a generic character sheet though, nor made for classic fantasy.

It's ok, I ripped it off of the lotrs character sheet that MrHemlocks linked. Definitely post it. I'd like to see it.

Regarding parchment backgrounds, I think they're great fun for character sheets and maps and such. One approach I would take for personal use though it to actually purchase the parchment paper from a supplier and print out a character sheet without the 'parchment' jpg onto it.

70/420

Thanks!

Nice sheet, minimalist and easy on the eyes, hm… *pondering*

All in good time, at the moment I'm trying to convert/fit most of the HARP specific stuff into BRP (that which isn't already covered by BRP rules), once that is done I might actually do that :)

• 1 year later...