Where's BRP's Blood Tide?

joen

Hi,

A while ago I decided to embark on creating a new BRP campaign set in the pirate era. My research led me to Blood Tide: Black Sails and Dark Rituals, which is specifically crafted for such adventures, complete with naval warfare and boarding rules.

However, I was greatly disappointed to learn that it's virtually unattainable in Europe. Chaosium has removed it from their online store and erased any trace of it from their website: https://www.chaosium.com/blood-tide-pdf-and-ebook/ 

Additionally, it's no longer listed on their DriveThruRPG store page: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/138373/Blood-Tide-Black-Sails--Dark-Rituals

I'm curious about the reasons behind its unavailability, even in PDF format. It seems my only option is to import a used copy from the US, but the tax and customs fees would make it way too expensive to be worth the trouble.

So the question is: why isn't it available anywhere?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how I might get my hands on this book, I would be eternally grateful.

Because it's not very good?  A "trash fire" actually.  Other, more generous voices can fill you in on the details.

I'm sorry, I get really mean about this book.  As I've stated several times elsewhere, it's the only Chaosium product that's ever made me truly angry.

The shipping would surely be exorbitant, but I'd gladly donate my like-new copy to someone who might enjoy it more than me.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Each to their own. I just need a framework to build my stuff on top on and Blood Tide seems to be a good start. I want the rules for naval combat, boarding, crew, weather at sea, mutinity, diseases and just general life at sea. I don't care if the book isn't a good read or if the layout isn't great. Additionally, the missing tidbits wouldn't bother me either (I assume this is the reason why you're referring to this supplement as a "trash fire").

3 hours ago, joen said:

Each to their own. I just need a framework to build my stuff on top on and Blood Tide seems to be a good start. I want the rules for naval combat, boarding, crew, weather at sea, mutinity, diseases and just general life at sea. I don't care if the book isn't a good read or if the layout isn't great. Additionally, the missing tidbits wouldn't bother me either (I assume this is the reason why you're referring to this supplement as a "trash fire").

If you really only need a "D100 pirate setting framework", then have a look at "Pirates of Legend" for Mongoose Publishings LEGEND RPG (a slightly edited version of RQ5): 

http://tinyurl.com/yeuk5z3t

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

If you really only need a "D100 pirate setting framework", then have a look at "Pirates of Legend" for Mongoose Publishings LEGEND RPG (a slightly edited version of RQ5): 

http://tinyurl.com/yeuk5z3t

This looks very interesting. I just went ahead and bought it right away because of the price. Thanks for the tip!

58 minutes ago, joen said:

This looks very interesting. I just went ahead and bought it right away because of the price. Thanks for the tip!

I don´t watch at BRP as JUST BRP. I see the familiy of BRP games, and these include not only the Chaosium BRP-System games, but also Mythras, OpenQuest, Legend, Revolution D100, Jackals, ...

If you are in need for a specific setting for one of these, and find out there is none, the chance is good that a "sister system" might have what you are searching for. 
Have a look at: 

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, joen said:

Note however that these books were written for Legend. Despite being largely compatible with BRP, that system has significant differences which you should be aware of :

• Damage and armor values are lower in Legend ;
  • Hit Points in Legend are localized, and there are no generic hit points ;
  • Legend doesn't use the Resistance Table, but has "resisitance" skills instead, which are opposed to other skills.

Second point can easily be dealt with, as creatures still have CON and SIZ, which can be used to compute hit points. Localized hits use different formulas than BRP localisation rules, though.

Third point is also not really a big issue, as you can easily find equivalents.

First point is more tricky, as it requires you to always remember to add a few damage points, or use only damage values from Legend products.