A quickstart with flair...

Simlasa

I've been running a BRP game for some kids and it's been great fun.

For Xmas I've been wanting to give the older boy (a precocious 11yr old) some rules of his own, to play with his brother and friends... but the BGB is just too huge and bland looking for a kid IMO.

Something like the quickstart would be more appropriate... if it just had more visual flair. I'd happily pay for a full color version of it with some eye-grabbing artwork.

I've even thought about making such a thing myself... getting it printed for him.

It's kind of frustrating... I love the BGB and I certainly don't need or want all the glitz an FFG game might have... but I think for a kid to buy into it (as more than just a player) it needs to have sell itself as 'new' and 'exciting'. When I look at the other media he's consuming the BGB just seems so... beige.

Anyway... that would be my Xmas wish... a brighter and shinier quickstart for BRP.

Yes, this seems to go with many BRP related products, it always has been behind the 8-ball when it comes to production & art when compared to the bigger products. Compare RQ3's flimsy books with AD&D in the 80s. It's much better these days, but when you compare BRP to the current competition such as D&D, Pathfinder, Warhammer, Shadowrun, Eclipse Phase, Qin The Warring States, World of Darkness etc etc the BRP products are generally lacking. Mongoose did alot with MRQ but was very inconsistent.

I guess it's just down to popularity and dollars. Lucky that the content is great and the rules are some of these best mechanics in the gaming hobby, but it's always been the art which draws the kiddie crowd. I know most of us start with the more popular systems and find our way into BRP, but many of the D&D kids from the 80s are probably playing D20 OGL products now if they're still in the hobby, so I think artwork and finished production (ie hardcovers, glossy pages, etc) are of the upmost importance when securing a fan base.

Your best bet is to print out the BRP quick start pdf on some glossy paper, and insert some high quality art throughout, probably doing up another exterior cover. Alot of money, but probably the only way to get that early teen crowd...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Reminds me of my own 11th birthday, when I got the D&D Red box set :D

In fact, it didn't take long before I switched to AD&D1, though it was much more complicated.

In my opinion, and given my own experience, the problem with the BRP gold book may not be the amount of rules, but rather its lack of any setting or its number of options.

Edited by Mugen