Open Gaming "Powers" System to Meld with The BRP SRD?

Hi there! Just wondering if there is an open source or equivalent, free to use for commercial purposes, "Powers" system out there that plays nicely with the BRP System Reference Document? 

Whilst we're here, is there something similar for Magic?

Thanks anyone for answering! 🙂

• yangtze2000 changed the title to Open Gaming "Powers" System to Meld with The BRP SRD?

Question is why would you want to use the BRP SRD instead of the BRP Universal Game Engine for commercial use ?

The BRP SRD is linked to the older BRP OGL licence, and not the recent ORC BRP licence.

BRP OGL is more restrictive than ORC, and it's not clear for me how it interacts with works published under other OGL licences. It's possible that you could borrow rules from Revolution D100, but I'm not sure...

The SRD for BRP ORC licence is the BRP Universal Game Engine book, and it contains rules for powers and magic. It's free for you use in ORC publications, but I don't know if it's the same for BRP OGL...

• Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Mugen said:

Question is why would you want to use the BRP SRD instead of the BRP Universal Game Engine for commercial use ?

Ah! Thank you for this info! I didn't realise this was an option. I read the announcement of some kind of open gaming license for BRP and the only thing I could find was the SRD. Admittedly, I didn't spend hours looking, but I just assumed that must be it! 😄 

I've found the BRP:UGE open gaming ORC stuff now. Thanks for the pointer! 🙂

One last question: I bought a new copy of the BRP:UGE book earlier this week from Blackwells in the UK. I looked to see if I was entitled to a PDF under the Bits and Mortar initiative, but I couldn't see Blackwells listed. Should I contact Blackwells to check? Or is there an easier way to see a comprehensive list of participating retailers via the Chaosium website (I didn't quite trust the "within x miles" search thing")? 

Edited by yangtze2000
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, yangtze2000 said:

Should I contact Blackwells to check? Or is there an easier way to see a comprehensive list of participating retailers via the Chaosium website (I didn't quite trust the "within x miles" search thing")? 

@Scotty or anyone at Chaosium has a better chance to know the answer than me...

Edited by Mugen

22 hours ago, yangtze2000 said:

One last question: I bought a new copy of the BRP:UGE book earlier this week from Blackwells in the UK. I looked to see if I was entitled to a PDF under the Bits and Mortar initiative, but I couldn't see Blackwells listed. Should I contact Blackwells to check? Or is there an easier way to see a comprehensive list of participating retailers via the Chaosium website (I didn't quite trust the "within x miles" search thing")? 

We can only encourage retailer to enroll in Bits & Mortar, so I suggest contacting Blackwells and encourage them to join. Once they join stores can retrospectively decide to issue PDF links. https://www.bits-and-mortar.com/retailers. The search is pretty good!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:08 PM, Mugen said:

BRP OGL is more restrictive than ORC, and it's not clear for me how it interacts with works published under other OGL licences. It's possible that you could borrow rules from Revolution D100, but I'm not sure...

Definitely not, as it would add restrictions to the version of Revolution D100 that is released under the OGL and thus contradict the license.

However, we will release Rd100 under the ORC at some point (2024 I hope), so you will be able to borrow that for your UGE ideas.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM