Meeting Wakboth

mfbrandi

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ynneadwraith said:

Ah, but doesn’t that hinge on why Ragnaglar and Wakboth are unreachable. Is it because those gods are dead/trapped?

Well, Jeff seems pretty clear:

• You can’t contact [Wakboth] as he is dead … and buried beneath that Block of Truestone … part of the reconstituted mundane world and the source of moral evil in mundane life. But as long as he is imprisoned beneath the Block, that’s all

But I am just reporting that and playing with it. I am not endorsing it. You are right that we can do what we like with Wakboth and friends. And we should. Beats blaming our faults on a dead monster.

I tend to view the Block and whatever is oozing out from under it as a symbol of the integration of chaos into the temporal world. Perhaps lifting the Block would have no effect — it is just a symbol. In a magical world, perhaps the alteration of a symbol would have a large effect, but what effect? Accelerating entropy? Unleashing evil? Unravelling time and returning us to the timeless hell of the Gods War? Undoing the Compromise, thus killing all the gods relying on it for survival?

🎶 And we’ll have fun fun fun now that [someone] took the Truestone away 🎶

Edited by mfbrandi
  • Like 3

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2024 at 8:58 PM, mfbrandi said:

Well, Jeff seems pretty clear:

• You can’t contact [Wakboth] as he is dead … and buried beneath that Block of Truestone … part of the reconstituted mundane world and the source of moral evil in mundane life. But as long as he is imprisoned beneath the Block, that’s all

But I am just reporting that and playing with it. I am not endorsing it. You are right that we can do what we like with Wakboth and friends. And we should. Beats blaming our faults on a dead monster.

I tend to view the Block and whatever is oozing out from under it as a symbol of the integration of chaos into the temporal world. Perhaps lifting the Block would have no effect — it is just a symbol. In a magical world, perhaps the alteration of a symbol would have a large effect, but what effect? Accelerating entropy? Unleashing evil? Unravelling time and returning us to the timeless hell of the Gods War? Undoing the Compromise, thus killing all the gods relying on it for survival?

🎶 And we’ll have fun fun fun now that [someone] took the Truestone away 🎶

Wakboth is the end of the world made manifest, so I suspect lifting the block would be a bad thing. 

The possibility of Wakboth’s release is surely part of the compromise. No night without day, no day without night, no trap is absolute - even for Wakboth

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

7 hours ago, EricW said:

The possibility of Wakboth’s release is surely part of the compromise. No night without day, no day without night, no trap is absolute — even for Wakboth

I like this!

Many of the gods will disagree. According to them, the trap they are in is absolute, and they have agreed to it because they cannot face the thought of ever being thrown down the memory hole. Some will have doubts: some will think that a prison break is desirable; some will think that is possible (however undesirable) to break into or out of the prison. But the gods are a pretty dim lot (save for Krarsht — who probably doesn’t count: she is more of an interdimensional tourist — who offloads all stupidity onto her cultists).

However, the Compromise is the Spider’s stratagem — the gods only got the press release, which was deliberately obfuscatory, and many of them cannot read — and She knows that the end of all extant worlds will eventually manifest (with many petites morts before the big one), but that is OK, for the earth doth like a snake renew.

Throwing the mundane world (and all mortals) down the one-way tunnel to nowhere was “agreed to” by the gods — as the price for their being spared the same fate. But …

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

11 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

I like this!

Many of the gods will disagree. According to them, the trap they are in is absolute, and they have agreed to it

Ah but it isn't absolute - the gods are allowed to awaken to conscious action if the world is threatened. And they get to have a little fun, play chess using their worshippers as chess pieces. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricW said:

Ah but it isn’t absolute

Sure, but was I not painting the gods as idiots?

When I play at thinking of the gods as people, I see them as pulled in two directions: on the one hand, they want to think of their prison as inviolable, themselves safe from the depredations of time, the Devil, and their own poor impulse control; on the other hand, they want to think that the mundane world cannot get along without them, that they can and do have influence there. I’d say they should go see Dr. Freud, but we are assured that they are stuck in their loops and cannot change, so it wouldn’t be money well spent.

But that is just what amuses me, and I don’t want to bully everyone else into agreement. (I couldn’t, anyway.)

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST