Kingdom and Commonwealth

Butters

Hi, The Players have escaped the Castle and it could have been a T.P.K if I hadn't gone a little easy on them but they left a man behind. And I'm conflicted, they have the chance to get back to the castle and rescue their comrade or just run for the hills both options are dangerous and I might have to get a little more deadly on both accounts. So I don't know how to move things along in a way that works for everyone.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:57 PM, Ali the Helering said:

The local pronunciation actually tends to be Lahnsen, FWIW.  Your Cornwall May Vary

Lol, so many name changes in this campaign historical, modern, and local. 

I can see thats tough to resolve without being overly generous and remaining realistic. I’d see what the players want to do first, particularly the player left behind. It might be that they are ok about their character taking ‘one for the team’. They might think a heroic death by execution is a good motivation for their new character wanting revenge for a wrong. Feuds are good.

Other options might be someone who is sympathetic on the inside helping with the escape. Perhaps different factions within the castle using the prisoner to further their own agenda? The prisoner is allowed to escape but has to carry out some task that might not benefit the players? Or they lose something that they don’t want in return for a ransom? An outside party negotiates the release but leaves the players bound to the negotiator? 

It might vary from the written scenario but I think if it is a realistic solution then it is workable. I always like moral ambiguity in solutions, so the players may be forced to act in ways that they are uncomfortable with or at least make them think.

I’m happy to flesh out any ideas with you if it’d be helpful for you

• Like 1

I like the idea of outsiders being helpful as the person in charge of the area and castle is is currently acting odd and the locals should be concerned. I'm thinking that the character left behind might end up heading to the gallows though.

78uii.PNG

• Like 1