Two questions, unrelated to each other

So I'm going through my copy of brpuge, and digging through the forums here, and I have questions.

1: I need help with 'Passions'. I mean, I think I get it, but then the idea of fear as a passion trips me up. Can someone kindly tell me how fear as a passion works, possibly in comparison to some other passion that makes sense to me (such as loyalty, for example).

2: I have found conversions of Dark Sun and And 2e to BRP. Has anyone taken a stab at converting Spelljammer?

9 hours ago, Tolen1 said:

1: I need help with 'Passions'. I mean, I think I get it, but then the idea of fear as a passion trips me up. Can someone kindly tell me how fear as a passion works, possibly in comparison to some other passion that makes sense to me (such as loyalty, for example).

What part is causing issues? Inspiration?

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

So get, for example loyalty. You know you need to flee in the face of superior numbers, but the chieftan stands strong, and so you succeed at a loyalty check and stand with him. If you fail, your nerve breaks and you flee.

I can't make any kind of sense of fear. If I succeed at a passion check for fear, I lean into the fear and...? If I fail at the passion check I'm not afraid?

Fear can promote a fiercer, more-desperate degree of fighting -- if you lose this fight, you'll be rendered helpless before the [person/thing/etc] that you Fear... so you fight that much harder.

If you failed that roll, you don't get that edge:  you didn't feel it keenly-enough in that moment, and your Fear doesn't inspire that extra degree of effort. 

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, Tolen1 said:

So get, for example loyalty. You know you need to flee in the face of superior numbers, but the chieftan stands strong, and so you succeed at a loyalty check and stand with him. If you fail, your nerve breaks and you flee.

I generally use fear as the other side of an opposed passion roll. So you roll loyalty against fear. Sometimes fear is good, in that someone with no fear passion is going to end up getting themselves killed faster than the average Humakti.

Note that this is with the quickstart version of the rules, which have working opposed rolls.

I've not got my rule book to hand but I'm sure it talks about fear passion making people avoid the subject of the fear. I play it like a demoralization if the fear wins (succeeds) but as pointed out oppose it with something else (devotion to orlanth, for example, because courage is a virtue of Orlanth).