Curing theological hang-ups through illumination

The Lunar Way has mentioned that some Secret Knowledges are available depending on the school on goes to.  It's never quite felt right to me that the availability of some skills is a matter of hunting down the right psionics institute teacher and I am loathe to invent convoluted new rules for them.  So what I suggest is to repurpose existing rules.   So the basis is Spirit Combat except that the Illuminate uses his Illumination Skill plus meditation and whatever supernatural bonus he can effect in place of the Spirit Combat Skill.  The Unrealised Self which the Illuminate seeks to free uses Loyalty (Temple) or Devotion (Deity) in place of the Spirit Combat skill.  The Self has a POW equal to the illuminates POW plus what any POW sacrificed fro rune magic. (more experienced PCs will have a harder time, naturally)

Failure in the contest results in psychic turmoil (RQG p229).

Success is either the awareness that a specific forbidden action (ie a Yelmalion learning fireblade) now carries no consequences OR a bonus for future meditations/interactions against the Unrealized Self (either skill or time).  The goal is total release and concentrating on immunity for specific actions is seen as short-sighted.

Many of the higher powers need to be active while undergoing the struggle.  To gain immunity to Sense Chaos skills or spells requires the acquisition of a chaos rune rating (such as through Chaos Gift).  To gain Immunity to Spirits of Reprisal requires the commission of an action requiring the Spirit's attention.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, metcalph said:

...  It's never quite felt right to me that the availability of some skills is a matter of hunting down the right psionics institute teacher ...  

YMMV (specifically not "G" here)...

This is a matter of taste.

I personally find lots of interest and value in such "secret knowledge" that needs to be sought-out, a teacher persuaded, etc.
Sounds like "more stories" to me!

But my own tastes suit me, and yours suit you.

(n.b. that's a few special skills; not mainstream "bread&butter" skills)

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/6/2024 at 1:35 PM, metcalph said:

The Unrealised Self which the Illuminate seeks to free uses Loyalty (Temple) or Devotion (Deity) in place of the Spirit Combat skill.

It's entirely possible to come through character creation and several years of play without having either of those. Also the scale of a passion is different to a skill - a value of less than 50% represents a negative or hostile relationship.