selling equipment and bargain

skenderax

Nice day all mighty BRP community.

I am happy first reader of BRP rules and two question dont give me a sleep. So I would like to read your advice.

How to sell an item, or items, if there is no money only five items value (cheap, inexpensive, average, expensive, priceless)? What should I do with magical sword, or other item no use for me character, I want to sell? Should selling upgrade me Status skill? How?

And can you give me an example of using skill bargain with selling or buying equipment? Effects of skill bargain gain some information about fumble, failure, success, special and critical success, but I have no idea, how to translate it in the five value economy...

Thanks for all advices.

S.

I am unhappy with BRP not giving prices. My advice is to use actual values for items (magical swords or whatever) from some other system.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Nice day all mighty BRP community.

I am happy first reader of BRP rules and two question dont give me a sleep. So I would like to read your advice.

Well first the wealth system is a rough guideline so I would suggest in doing what feels right for you. I have been using a combination of wealth and monetary system along the lines of what is suggested in In Search of the Trollslayer. I have also used a house rule that a player can invest 100gp to gain a Research Skill Increase in the Status skill as per rules in BRP p.185. The logic being that spending money and time bragging about your exploits would have chance to increase the Status skill.

How to sell an item, or items, if there is no money only five items value (cheap, inexpensive, average, expensive, priceless)? What should I do with magical sword, or other item no use for me character, I want to sell? Should selling upgrade me Status skill? How?

Don't really see a problem here. Selling an average item give you a one time use wealth level you can trade for another item of the same wealth lever or lower. Or save for something else. Normally selling items wouldn't upgrade the Status skill, but I would allow the wealth gained to be used for gaining Research Skill Increases for Status skill (as mentioned above) at the cost of 1 Wealth level per skill increase.

And can you give me an example of using skill bargain with selling or buying equipment? Effects of skill bargain gain some information about fumble, failure, success, special and critical success, but I have no idea, how to translate it in the five value economy...

Thanks for all advices.

S.

As for using Bargain skill I have simply used the profit gained from the skill description as a bonus or penalty for the Status roll as listed below. This is just how we have used it. Each 25% if loss/profit could easily be translated to a wealth level instead. For example selling an average value item and rolling a Failure would mean that you would get only an Inexpensive value level offered for the item. Ofcourse it works the other way around when buying. An average value item and rolling a failure would result in needing an Affluent wealth level to gain it.

Fumble: -50% Penalty or -2 Wealth Level loss

Failure: -25% Penalty or -1 Wealth Level loss

Success: No Penalty/Normal Price

Special: +25% Bonus or +1 Wealth Level profit

Critical: +50% Bonus or +2 Wealth Level profit

All the above suggestions are just how I have been using the wealth level. At first I really despised the Wealth Level system when starting with the new BRP book but after some time getting used to it is really not that bad. Hope this helps! ;t)

Edited by Chorpa

...All the above suggestions are just how I have been using the wealth level. At first I really despised the Wealth Level system when starting with the new BRP book but after some time getting used to it is really not that bad. Hope this helps! ;t)

Thank you Chorpa. Your advice is big inspiration for me and I will think about it :).

I am unhappy with BRP not giving prices. My advice is to use actual values for items (magical swords or whatever) from some other system.

I am on the other hand very happy, that I dont need to use money system no more. For me as a GM was a little bit confused to think about prices... Items value was system I try to find for many years.

Thank you both for your answers. ;)

S.

...All the above suggestions are just how I have been using the wealth level. At first I really despised the Wealth Level system when starting with the new BRP book but after some time getting used to it is really not that bad. Hope this helps! ;t)

Thank you Chorpa. Your advice is big inspiration for me and I will think about it :).

I am on the other hand very happy, that I dont need to use money system no more. For me as a GM was a little bit confused to think about prices... Items value was system I try to find for many years.

Thank you both for your answers. ;)

S.

Fumble: -50% Penalty or -2 Wealth Level loss

Failure: -25% Penalty or -1 Wealth Level loss

Success: No Penalty/Normal Price

Special: +25% Bonus or +1 Wealth Level profit

Critical: +50% Bonus or +2 Wealth Level profit

Well, selling is actualy a true job, the first difficulty being to find somebody to purchase your item, moreover when it is not new. Normaly, nobody can sell an item at its original value. So unless the PC is a merchant, I would suggets something like:

- first make a Chance roll to find a buyer (difficult if you are in a remote village)

- then use the above chart but shift its results: success=> -1 wealth level ; failure => -2 wealth level ; fumble => for any reason, the buyer did not pay, or with false money or whatever, the item is lost and there is no profit. Alternately, leave the chart as it is but make the roll difficult (x1/2)

- alternately, or when teh chance roll is a failure, contact a merchant: the sell is insured (easy -or no- chance roll) but at fixed -2 wealth level to make it simple -you may allow a status roll to modify it according to the chart (ex: special => selling wealth level = -2+1=-1 original wealth level), player's decison.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Bargain never really worked in RuneQuest and has the same problems in BRP.

I'd make an opposed roll, with each person making a Bargain roll. The difference between levels of success would determine the penalty/bonus to the sale.

Seller/Buyer

Critical/Critical - No Difference

Critical/Special +10% To Price

Critical/Normal +20% To Price

Critical/Failure +50% To Price

Critical/Fumble +100% To Price

Special/Critical -10% To Price

Special/Special No Difference

Special/Normal +10% To Price

Special /Failure +20% To Price

Special/Fumble +50% To Price

Normal/Critical -20% To Price

Normal/Special -10% To Price

Normal/Normal No Difference

Normal/Failure +10% To Price

Normal/Fumble +20% To Price

Failure/Critical -50% To Price

Failure/Special -20% To Price

Failure/Normal -10% To Price

Failure/Failure No Difference

Failure/Fumble +10% To Price

Fumble/Critical -75% To Price

Fumble/Special -50% To Price

Fumble/Normal -20% To Price

Fumble/Failure -10% To Price

Fumble/Fumble No Difference

With Wealth Levels, it is unrealistic to have too many jumps, so I'd say that for more than 2 difference in levels the Wealth Level would be adjusted 1 in the winner's favour. So, Critical/Fumble would be sold at one wealth level better and Fumble/Critical would be sold at one wealth level worse.

Wealth levels don't really work with normal trading as the trading is part of the wealth level. Finding a treasure hoard might increase wealth level but buying and selling goods won't.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Well, selling is actualy a true job, the first difficulty being to find somebody to purchase your item, moreover when it is not new. Normaly, nobody can sell an item at its original value. So unless the PC is a merchant, I would suggets something like:

- first make a Chance roll to find a buyer (difficult if you are in a remote village)

- then use the above chart but shift its results: success=> -1 wealth level ; failure => -2 wealth level ; fumble => for any reason, the buyer did not pay, or with false money or whatever, the item is lost and there is no profit. Alternately, leave the chart as it is but make the roll difficult (x1/2)

- alternately, or when teh chance roll is a failure, contact a merchant: the sell is insured (easy -or no- chance roll) but at fixed -2 wealth level to make it simple -you may allow a status roll to modify it according to the chart (ex: special => selling wealth level = -2+1=-1 original wealth level), player's decison.

Ofcourse but I felt that the discussion on finding a buyer/seller was another topic. Just gave some simple suggestions on how to game transactions and still keeping it simple. If you want more detail well honestly you are better of using a monetary system. I did forget so mention that if you do let Bargain affect Items Value levels I would suggest that people not using Bargain would automatically count as failure meaning that selling an item would be a value level below it's original value and buying would be a value level above. Unless they manage to successful beat the opposing trader with Bargain.