Seven Mothers as Lightbringers

Soccercalle

I guess that this topic has been discussed before.

The Seven Mothers were desperate and needed to bring back a dead god/goddess to save "their world" (Dara Happa). They made some form of heroquest to make this possible.

I can't really find another explanation that this was some kind of version of the Lightbringers Quest. There were seven participants and the goal was very similar to what Orlanth or Harmast was trying to achieve. I guess that they had some kind of knowledge about both the LBQ  experimental heroquesting saved by the Lhankor Mhy (known by Irrippi Ontor).

Am I getting this wrong? The results of Orlanths LBQ (the compromise) was in many ways "confirmed" by Arachne Solara (AKA The Spider). The Spider seems to have confirmed Sedenya as well.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

5 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

Am I getting this wrong? The results of Orlanths LBQ (the compromise) was in many ways "confirmed" by Arachne Solara (AKA The Spider). The Spider seems to have confirmed Sedenya as well.

The Seven Mothers' method varied a lot.

There is no evidence for a deep Underworld quest like the Goddess' Quest (that resulted in her return on the Bat). Instead, the mothers provide Teelo Norri as a receptable for the Lunar goddess, sacrificing the Young Life enough so that Teelo Estara can manifest, after the body (and its previous wearer) had undergone a massive ordeal. If there was an Underworld quest, it may have been a variation of the Sword Story, between Yanafal and Danfive (YT as Humakt, DX as Eurmal), with the latter not returning, and Jakaleel opening the way while Deezola and Irrippi provided the playbook and hints to collect the pieces of the earlier moons. Themanifest Teelo Estara was far from complete, she had 27 years of questing and meditation and war in order to "re"-gain her whole being, with the Goddess Quest and its re-discovery of Nysalorean illumination a core event.

Several of the Mothers seem to have died in their quest - Teelo Norri was brought back only later in the Goddess Quest, Danfive never returned to the world of the Living, and Deezola apparantly suffered a temporary demise, too - possibly due to outer pressure on the questers, who were in the process of defending Torang against horse barbarians IIRC.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

The Seven Mothers' method varied a lot.

I dont mean that it was a typical LBQ but an experimental heroquest where they at least in part followed the steps in the LBQ. They were seven, some of them were from similar cults and the goal was ”to save the world by resurrect a dead celestial god”. The similarities are too many to dismiss.

• Like 2

For me they did not follow the path of the lightbringers but they did follow (about) the same path that the lightbringers did.

I have the theory that heroquesting is not really to act as the gods did but more to manipulate the true magic of the world. Same action provides same output

something like sorcery but at a higher level (after all godlearners were sorcerers right ?)

of course when you follow the same path that your cult teaches you (for example the so called « lightbringers quest ») you expect the same result (in the same way that when you cast the sorcery spell you obtain the same result that other who cast the same spell - with variation, decided by you like intensity etc but also from the world you can’t explain like the result of your D6-)

but you can also decide to do thing differently

sometimes this difference is not really important for the outcome (challenging a sun with your spear and not with a sword)

or could be totally changes the outcome (killing this sky entity and get his fire power on the hill of gold and not just taking his armor)

and sometimes it is not your decision, you failed when the previous « guide » won or you succeeded when the previous did a fumble

if you are strong enough you stay in the godtime (that is named experimental quest) , if not you go back to the mundane world or are destroyed by the world’s energy (that is named failed quest)

• Like 1

Some say that the deities matched those on the Lightbringer Quest, but that isn't really the case.

• Ginna Gar = She Who Waits
  • Orlanth = Yanafal Tarnils (Combat Deities, a bit tenuous) or Danfive Xaron (Outlaws, a bit tenuous)
  • Chalana Arroy = Queen Deezola (Because they are Healers, a bit tenuous)
  • Lhankor Mhy = Irrippi Ontor
  • Issaries = Davfive Xaron (Psychopomp)
  • Eurmal = Jakaleel The Witch (Very tenuous)
  • Flesh Man = Teelo Norri (Everyman)

The only ones that fit are She Who Waits, Irrippi Ontor, and Teelo Norri, so that is less than half of the Seven Mothers. 

Sure, they might have used elements of the Lightbringer Quest but I am not sure that they did.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here