hard sci-fi

mwsasser

Hey guys, I'm looking for a rules light not-too-distant-into-the-future hard science fiction system thats skill based. I don't need FTL or any trek/swars/cyberpunk technology or burdened with too much of its own back story? Hopefully something that would be make it easy to run an A. C. Clarke 2001, 2010 style science fiction game.

I don't need blasters or too much space combat. Mass drivers would be good but no lasers.

I enjoy playing Runequest and Legend so I thought it might be a good idea to ask here if you fellows know if an alternative version of the BRP system that might be a good fit for me?

You could take a look at the Cthulhu End Time setting, if you ignore the

Mythos part you get the core of a comparatively low technology hard

science fiction system, which is compatible enough with the BRP system

to use any additional material from other BRP games:

Chaosium Inc.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

You can have a look at my 2300AD conversion as well (links in the signature). Although you might need some additional 2300AD Stuff for Background and Equipment, as I only did the conversion rules. But that stuff is cheap to come by at RPGNow.com, you would need either this book set:

2300AD - original

or you could use the new version:

2300AD - Mongoose

But my conversion rules cover only the "2300AD - original" rules.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a rules light not-too-distant-into-the-future hard science fiction system thats skill based. I don't need FTL or any trek/swars/cyberpunk technology or burdened with too much of its own back story? Hopefully something that would be make it easy to run an A. C. Clarke 2001, 2010 style science fiction game.

I don't need blasters or too much space combat. Mass drivers would be good but no lasers.

I enjoy playing Runequest and Legend so I thought it might be a good idea to ask here if you fellows know if an alternative version of the BRP system that might be a good fit for me?

Also, take a a look at Cthulhu Rising (monographs here and here )- one could strip the FTL elements out easily and just focus on the Solar System...

But honestly, pick a reasonably well documented near future hard SF setting and just use BRP as the rules set - I ran an asteroid exploration / first contact weirdness game that started off pretty straight hard SF using bits of 2300AD and Martin Freeman's Space Traveller's Handbook using BRP (back then, that was Call of Cthulhu supplemented with Future*World).

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for the tips guys. I have my own world set that I've been working on for some time but finding a system you can use that fits your world is hard. All of them try to re-order your technology to its vision along with everything else.