OpenQuest 2 Q& A

Newt

here's a list of the questions that have been asked about OQ2 on the indiegogo.com preorder so far.

Feel free to ask new questions in this thread :)

vermer1632 said 18 days ago

Q. Great news! Will the pdf version be available soon or will we have to wait the 60 days aswell ?

A. If it’s ready before the end of the campaign yes. However with all the new content it may take longer than the original eta. When it’s ready you will get the pdf. Even if I get mugged by real life I’m hoping XMAS by the very latest for the pdf, with the book coming 1-2 months after.

Q/I am working on an Earthdawn kit for OQ and I would like to include the OQ2 elements rigth away.

A. A few people who are using OQ as developers have asked me if they can see works in progress, and I have to say no. It’s not fair to other people who have preordered. Also remember if you are using the dev kit with another party’s IP and intend to publish it publicly (and yes a Free pdf on a website is publishing it publicly) please ensure that you have that party’s permission to use their IP before you start on your OQ conversion. Otherwise you invalidate OQ OGL license ;)

Q.The Butcher said 23 days ago

Any chance we’ll see a shamanism/spirit magic system as one of the stretch goals? Nothing against setting info or generic deities, but it’s just that it’s one of the really unique features of the Original d100 Fantasy Game and one I’ve grown used to.

A. Shamanism/spirit magic is already in the rules. P58 for Shamans, and the whole Battle Magic is Spirit Magic in an RQ3 sense , using RQ2’s name. What OQ2 will better define is what Battle Magic is (i.e. a personal magic system that draws on the casters own spirit or that of enslaved/allied spirits). Same is true of Divine and sorcery.

Also, are Simon Bray’s Realtionship rules anything like Passions for RQ6 and King Arthur Pendragon?

A. Nope and that’s a wonderful thing in my book ;) Basically each Relationship is expressed as a Percentage and tells you the strength of the relationship. There are different types of relationships (friends and enemies) which can be called upon by rolling against the skill.

Q.db_dom said 23 days ago “Would it be a good idea to give the OpenQuest 1 PDF as a reward for the 5$ perk? It would allow people to discover the system for half price and might entice some to upgrade their contribution before the end of the funding campaign.”

A. Nope, there’s already the OQ Dev Kit, which is the entire OQ book in word doc, sans pictures. Me mailing out pdfs is an extra admin cost when I should be writing OQ2 ;)

Q.mjonesrpg said 26 days ago

Here’s hoping for a ‘Brawn’ skill and lots more spells. Brawn better defines what your character can do and everyone loves oodles of spells. Keep the simplicity but ramp up the options. Looking forward to this.

A. Certainly lots more spells, that’s the hub of OQ (and any RQ system for that mater) its magic so I’m giving more than its fair share of attention. As for Brawn the jury is out on that one.

Edited by Newt

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Will you clarify some ambiguous combat rules of OQ1 in OQ2? For example, OQ1 have 3 types of movement: move, sprint, and fighting retreat. Move is a free action, but list within a group of actions that only one can be picked in a round. But the rule never mentioned that whether we can combine two movements within the same round, i.e. fighting retreat then move, or move then sprint. And fighting retreat is used specifically when engaged, but the engagement never defined in OQ. So newcomers may wonder why pick fighting retreat instead of move. And engagement should be defined and clarified that are we only engaged when starting close combat with other characters or is it enough to be considered engaged if we walk pass an close range from active enemy.

Sanpat Suvarnadat

• 1 month later...

Wonder why this topic got dropped....

Would love for Newt to try and respond to this. PLUS....we need to get another 10-20 folks to contribute to the indiegogo to hit that last (and awesome!) stretch goal:

OpenQuest 2nd Edition Pre-order | Indiegogo

Will you clarify some ambiguous combat rules of OQ1 in OQ2? For example, OQ1 have 3 types of movement: move, sprint, and fighting retreat. Move is a free action, but list within a group of actions that only one can be picked in a round. But the rule never mentioned that whether we can combine two movements within the same round, i.e. fighting retreat then move, or move then sprint. And fighting retreat is used specifically when engaged, but the engagement never defined in OQ. So newcomers may wonder why pick fighting retreat instead of move. And engagement should be defined and clarified that are we only engaged when starting close combat with other characters or is it enough to be considered engaged if we walk pass an close range from active enemy.

I thought one of the reason to make OQ2 is to clarify ambiguous text so I ask about what I thought to be an ambiguous portion of the rule that should be fixed. I am pretty sure there is no clear statement to specify whether the combination Fighting Retreat and Move in a single turn is allowed. I also pretty sure there is no clear definition of engagement either. But whatever suit your product.

Sanpat Suvarnadat