What about this mechanic?

Nakana

Yes. both of you gave a different formula to calculate the numbers given by the Resistance Table.

Stat x 5% modified by +/- 5% per opposed stat point under/over 10 = 5% x (10 + active stat - opposing stat).

Example : active stat: 8, opposing stat: 13

8 x 5% - (13 - 10) x 5% = 5% x (10 + 8 - 13)

In both case, it makes 25%.

And now, since an example is not a proof, the mathematical demonstration.

5% x (10 + Active - Opposed)

= 5% x 10 + 5% x Active - 5% x Opposed

= 5% x Active - 5% x Opposed + 5% x 10

= 5% x Active - (5% x Opposed - 5% x 10)

= 5% x Active - [5% x (Opposed - 10)]

= Active x 5% - [5% x (Opposed - 10)]

Ha, ha, ha... Sorry for inflicting that... It was just for the fun.

Edited by Gollum

Yes. both of you gave a different formula to calculate the numbers given by the Resistance Table.

You're quote right, both formulas are essentially the same.

Er... thanks, guys. I still know. ;) And one shows the table's relation to the reassuringly-familiar STATx5. :)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Er... thanks, guys. I still know. ;)

Of course. My post was just here to emphasize it... And for mathematical fun!

And one shows the table's relation to the reassuringly-familiar STATx5. :)

Yes. It appears much more clearly with your formula. Furthermore, with your permission, I will use it now. With it, doing the mental arithmetic during the game becomes much more easy and quick.

Furthermore, with your permission, I will use it now.

Glad to be of service! :)

My thought was it may be less confusing for the OP's newbie players, too. "Roll under Skill or Statx5 (sometimes other/modified)" is easier than "Roll under Skill or Statx5 (sometimes other) or a Magic Number from that Resistance Table thingy" - it seems like just 2 core mechanics rather than 3.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I wonder if it would be better to take the 50% out of the equation and just write down the resistance table modifiers (RTMs)on the character sheet? THe active character would add his applicaible RTM to his chances and the opponent would subtract his RTM from the base 50% success chance.

For example, let's say a PC with 16 STR is in a tug-o-war with a STR 20 Troll.

16 STR would be STR RTM 30%, while the Troll with STR 20 would have a 50% STR TRM.

30-50 is -20, so the man would have a 30% (50-20) chance of winning.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I wonder if it would be better to take the 50% out of the equation and just write down the resistance table modifiers (RTMs)on the character sheet? THe active character would add his applicaible RTM to his chances and the opponent would subtract his RTM from the base 50% success chance.

For example, let's say a PC with 16 STR is in a tug-o-war with a STR 20 Troll.

16 STR would be STR RTM 30%, while the Troll with STR 20 would have a 50% STR TRM.

30-50 is -20, so the man would have a 30% (50-20) chance of winning.

Of course, all of this (mental arithmetic, formula derivation, modifiers to 50%) is avoided simply by using the table :)

Ian

I wonder... resistance table modifiers (RTMs)on the character sheet?

Good one. Think I tried something similar, but inferior, once - which didn't earn it's place on the character sheet. This might well.

Of course, all of this (mental arithmetic, formula derivation, modifiers to 50%) is avoided simply by using the table

Yeah, a subtle difference. But some may prefer it, at least until they're old BRP hands who know the Table backwards... :)

Of course, all of this (mental arithmetic, formula derivation, modifiers to 50%) is avoided simply by using the table :)

Ian

Yeah, I suppose it depends on just how fast people can do the math. I can do the math in my head faster that I can pull out the table or dig up a reference sheet.

Good one. Think I tried something similar, but inferior, once - which didn't earn it's place on the character sheet. This might well.

)

It's just another way of doing the same thing. It might be helpful to some GMs and groups or it might not.

Where it could get interesting would be applying it to skills, or even using it to turn this into a both sides roll mechanic. A GM could replace the base of 50% with a D100 roll.

Yeah, I suppose it depends on just how fast people can do the math. I can do the math in my head faster that I can pull out the table or dig up a reference sheet.

It's just another way of doing the same thing. It might be helpful to some GMs and groups or it might not.

Where it could get interesting would be applying it to skills, or even using it to turn this into a both sides roll mechanic. A GM could replace the base of 50% with a D100 roll.

Which is more or less what I was suggesting, but instead of a D100 just use a simple 1d10. For what it's worth, the quickest way for me to calculate the Resistance Table is to multiply the difference in stats by 5(%) then add or subtract 50(%). That way there is no need to pull out the table.

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Which is more or less what I was suggesting, but instead of a D100 just use a simple 1d10.

Except 1D10 changes it to 10% increments instead of 5% increments.

For what it's worth, the quickest way for me to calculate the Resistance Table is to multiply the difference in stats by 5(%) then add or subtract 50(%). That way there is no need to pull out the table.

Yup. Rumor has it that the 50% +/-5% per point of difference proved to be difficult with some of the early RQ players and the resistance table was a way to get around the math!

Except 1D10 changes it to 10% increments instead of 5% increments.

That's all a matter of perspective really. Remember the 1d10 is only representing 50% of the total equation, in which case each side is 5%. Anything beyond that would be an automatic success/failure anyway.

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

For what it's worth, the quickest way for me to calculate the Resistance Table is to multiply the difference in stats by 5(%) then add or subtract 50(%). That way there is no need to pull out the table.

But this is already suggested by the rules. In fact, you are applying the Table when you do so.

It sounds like you do not need any alternate mechanics, after all.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

... instead of a D100 just use a simple 1d10.

I can't help thinking that mixing d100 rolls for some things with d10 rolls for others, would hinder you & your players getting familiar with BRP's d100 system.

Rumor has it that the 50% +/-5% per point of difference proved to be difficult with some of the early RQ players and the resistance table was a way to get around the math!

:D Well, whaddya know? Thanks for that! I'm more of an RQ fundamentalist than I ever knew... B-)