Oh so many silver ennies...

RosenMcStern

So, Pedro won his deserved prize with Mythic Iceland. But this thread is not to congratulate him (there is FB and the other thread to do so).

Here I would like to highlight that this event provides us with some quantitative (albeit deductively determined) data about the appreciation of BRP among the fandom. Have a look at the Silver winners for the last four years:

2010: BRP Rome

2012: Cthulhu Britannica Shadows over Scotland

2013: Mythic Iceland

...and we could add Cthulhu Invictus to the list.

So, I think there are two undeniable fact to be acknowledged here:

a) BRP has a large enough fandom to consistently grab the silver prize when the judges nominate a product. How to make BRP more popular? It _IS_ popular!!!

B) BRP (and Cthulhu as a BRP derivative) distinguishes itself for historical or fantasy/historical products rather than high fantasy; Magic World was also there but the judges prefer Eberron or Dark Sun when it comes to elves and dwarves. Historical, instead, has become a synonim of d100 lately.

Enough food for thought here. For my part, I will continue to publish historical supplements with some regularity. BRP Steppe is in the pipeline.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Yes, your company has succeeded where RQ3 stumbled - to keep producing Fantasy Earth, and with a realistic bent on it, even the magic is interpreted accurately according to the cultural outooks of these settings. I look forward to you returning to the mythical-historical earth settings; I think it is perfectly married to the gritty mechanics of BRP, and you keep the BRP flames burning admirably. The Alephetar Games books are certainly a valued resource for my BRP collection, the system would fare much worse without many of your titles. Personally I can't wait for BRP Steppes, it should be brilliant!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Enough food for thought here. For my part, I will continue to publish historical supplements with some regularity. BRP Steppe is in the pipeline.

So, it is prairie plain that historical supplements are a steppe in the right direction?

;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Nothing wrong with shameless plugs, BTW. Small publishers need all the buzz they can get. ;D

Prefacing this with the fact that I'm a fan of all three game systems, it was interesting to note that this year, neither Hero Games nor Steve Jackson Games won any ENnies - in fact, SJG wasn't even nominated (Hero had five nods). In the realm of small companies making generic systems, BRP and BRP-alike games seem to have done very well for themselves in this annual contest.