Aces High Question

Skunkape

We were making characters for my new campaign and we noticed in the weapons table there is a column labeled Ap. Could not find anything about it in the supplement book, searched online, searched here and of course it's not in the BGB. What the heck does it mean?

If someone has already asked this, just send me in the direction of that thread and I'll read it there, but my search foo on here isn't as good as on Google.:)

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I haven't got Aces High with me here to check, but RQ3 used to have AP for Armour Points, and maybe items had these instead of item HP, which is probably the same for Aces High I reckon. I think the author probably liked the RQ3 build of BRP as he also included Hit Locations, which I thought was pretty cool. I can't remember if the weapons also had a SR value, and if so that Strike Rank option was also from RQ3. If I was a betting man, I would put my money on betting that AP stands for Armour Points...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

We were making characters for my new campaign and we noticed in the weapons table there is a column labeled Ap.

Bought AH but haven't read it yet. Looking at the numerical range I'd guess Armor Points. Most other BRP/RQ versions give Hit Points for weapons. Maybe this is analogous: strike the weapon with at least that much damage and it breaks. Most weapons are iron, so it might make sense that less damage simply bounces off, and treating them as Armor Points means not having to track HP for weapons.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

I have always assumed AP and HP is the same thing. Shields in BRP follows this. I know Magic World also makes use of this variant and also modifies it a little. When you parry with a weapon the damage that passes the AP/HP value it breaks/damages the weapon/shield. It is found on page 68-69 in Magic World.

Edited by Chorpa

Yes, it's AP=Armour Points.

Should have been HP and I seem to have made a similar mistake in the New Mexico book too... but only for about half of the weapons!

Sorry for the confusion :-/

I reckon if I do a third book I might get it right :)

Thanks for the clarification and no worries! I do similar things when I write!

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas