Confused about initiates and spirit magic

gas

Hi fellow BRP fans. I am new to RQ Glorantha and i plan to start some short adventures/mini campaign placed in Sun County setting for my friends using Avalons Hill's RQ3 rulebook.

Since all of my players are initiates they also have to choose spirit magic spells. The book says that the cult spirit magic spells that are available for Yelmalio initiates are Coordination, Detect gold, Farsee, Light, Lightwall, Reppair (Sun County pg. 23) but the pregenerated characters provided for PC's in the adventures who also are Yelmalio initiates have other spells like Bladesharp, Heal etc.

I am confused.. Is spirit magic spell selection for an initiate player during character creation restricted to specific cult spells or it isn't and someone can choose freely?

Hi,

In RQ3, as I recall, each cult teaches a small selection of Spirit Magic spells but the character is not restricted to learning Spirit Magic from just the Cult.  As long as cult rules are not broken, any other Spirit Magic can be learnt.  So a Yelmalio initiate could go to Pavis and learn spirit magic from anyone who was willing to provide the Spell Spirit for him to fight.  Problems would only occur if they learned Firearrow or Fireblade, which Yelmalio bans, as I recall.

Hope that helps.

Clearly, "what I like" is awesome, and a well-considered, educated opinion. While "what other people like" is stupid, and just a bunch of made up gobbledygoook. - zomben

Victor of the "I Bought, We Won"

Yes, Psychman is correct.

Generally, in Glorantha, belonging to a cult allows you to learn Spirit Magic at a reduced cost, or allows you to learn cult special spirit magic that is not available elsewhere.

However, Spirit Magic is pretty ubiquitous, so anyone can learn common Spirit Magic from spell teachers. 

Some cults have forbidden magic, that cultists may not learn. Anyone using extremely strange magic might be frowned upon, or in high demand. 

With Divine Magic, you only get access to the spells taught from that cult, plus a limited selection of common Divine spells. So, I would not expect a Yelmalian to have Truespear, for example.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I think you mean ubiquitous rather than iniquitous although Spirit magic can be that as well.  :-)

I do indeed, thanks. I blame a busy, stressed-filled day at work, combined with reading BRP posts to regain a little sanity.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 year later...

Cult spirit spells are a LOT cheaper for initiates and there is a Spell dividend for long term membership (provided you stay up to date with your tithes and prayers).  On the other hand you can sometimes find a Shaman who will teach you a few tricks in return for coin, or seek spells from other cults and pay the premium.  Spirit magic is a market like any other in Glorantha, albeit a bit more exclusive and expensive and esoteric.

Edited by Darius West